Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2004, 12:25 PM

Default COPY PROTECTED MUSIC ALBUM?

Wondering: How can I create a copy protected CD of my album? Does Disc Makers do that? How are you artist handling the "one person buys and the rests are dubbed off" thing?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2004, 04:44 PM

Default Re: COPY PROTECTED MUSIC ALBUM?

Hello,
I would be intersested in this too.
I'm not sure if there is even a way (fully) to copy protect a CD.
It is frustrating. I was at a family wedding last fall and everyone (well, maybe not everyone) was talking about my CD and gleefully asking others to "burn" a copy for them and I said NO don't burn a copy--buy a copy (even after giving away boxes of the CD- and sometimes offering to give them a copy anyway- people are still "turned on" by the whole burning phenomenon- I guess people hate to part with a buck when it comes to music these days--really sad).
No wonder concert tickets have gone through the roof--I suppose only way to make a buck -if a person is fortunate enough. Sorry to be so negative.
Great question though.
L.A.Branville
Old 03-04-2004, 03:14 AM

If one day somebody will find a way to do that he/she will surely become one the most powerful men/women in the world... more difficult than finding a way to perfectly detect and separate all the different sounds in a mixed track...
There have been attempts to prevent a cd from being digitally copied, but you can do nothing if you re-digitalize a cd from an analog source (i.e. analog outs of cd players or computer soundards).
Old 03-04-2004, 07:05 AM

Quote:
If one day somebody will find a way to do that he/she will surely become one the most powerful men/women in the world...
I believe that's the plan when MS releases Longhorn, their next OS. Then, Bill Gates will become the most powerful man in the world. But wait... he already IS the most powerful man in the world.

Lee Blaske
Old 03-04-2004, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Wondering: How can I create a copy protected CD of my album? Does Disc Makers do that?...
There is no way... not really. No matter what copy protection is used.

But let's say for arguments sake that someone figures out the ultimate digital copy protection that no one can hack.

A person could simple play the CD into his computer through the analog in, and make MP3's out of that. Who know's, it might wind up sounding better.

But I wouldn't worry about it, if your music is really strong, you'll get where you want to go anyway...
Old 03-05-2004, 05:29 AM

HI,

FORGET everything related to CD copy protection!

The only recognizable situation to you is that you will annoy (at best) your potential customers and sales will drop even more. Some perhaps won´t ever come back to you when you release you second album.

I DON´t buy a CD that´s protected, it gives you only trouble in any way.
The biggest protection you can get is probably vinyl.

best