Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2003, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Musicians!! Read this, stop, and think...

I also realized, that sitting in front of my computer everyday and everynight has made me sooooo lonely. I had forgotten about what music actually is: an ancient form of communication. Being with people, listening to them, responding to them, finding a sound together. Having fun! We should all be in bands again and rock on!

Greetings to Berlin.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:55 PM

Maybe one day you'll be drinking a cup of coffee, walking down the street or falling asleep ...........
then WHAM~~~~~~~~~you HEAR IT!!! A true gem of musical/aural Creation. Now all you have to do is record it and get mass quantity distribution and promotion.

~~~~~~~ yea yea thats the ticket

Rock On

ºÇº
Old 12-30-2003, 04:05 PM

What timing!
This is a very serious problem for all of us!
I've got a friend who just bought a new G5 and is going through a term of tech head nonsense like never before. he is completely fascinated by it and consumed with it's possibilities.
Actually, he is a complete bore to watch tinker with all his new F$%^&*( toys! It actually makes him do things he is no good at at all. Like setting up his Mac and optimizing his system that was working before. My friend is a drummer and a very good composer but all his possesions keep him from creating musical art.
There is no music happening in and around his studio and there will be a learning curve until he gets familiar with his new computer.

Here is what happened at my house over the holiday week, I opened up Pro tools and imported a cool groove from the Peter Erskine samplehead CD and repeated the loop for 30 times. then I plugged the acoustic guitar into the 1/4 and a mic into the XLR and stated to improvise a song along with the groove.
Within 1 hour the framework for 2 songs was completed and bounced to disc for a MP3 to share with a collaborator over the internet.

This is what this software was made for if you are a musician!
Get a solid, working set-up and stick to it, Don't worry about the latest upgrade (they come every six months) and computers come out every year.

You will feel better about the whole trip if you just do what you set out to do in the first place. Produce Music on your own!
Old 12-30-2003, 04:18 PM

How brave of you to admit the obvious! For half the people their rig is nothing but a glorified stereo. Complete with Loops, samples and filters. Pitiful
Old 12-30-2003, 09:18 PM

Quote:
How brave of you to admit the obvious! For half the people their rig is nothing but a glorified stereo. Complete with Loops, samples and filters. Pitiful

sounds quite a bit smug, harsh or both bjorn...

i just spent the last 5 days with my nephew in my basement with my "glorified" stereo. i told him no one was ever going to think he was in an l.a. studio, but it will help convey his ideas. we've both had a great time, he's got songs to print for his next cd, and i learned a bunch of things about technology and creativity all at the same time.

i like my "digi-stereo" just fine, thanks.

steve
Old 12-30-2003, 09:27 PM

I find what keeps me out of the recording room the most is the fact that I can't get other musicians in the room
I like my songs , other p[eople do too . but my music is a band thing . I make beats and record other people but if I had 2 guys at least to do the live music thing .......... but anyway tried that , and let's face ita guy in a coffee shop singing and playing guitar can only do so much , and it's not the road I want to go down . sure maybe for a change of pace , but when it's the only pace you got well....... If it wasn't for going to audio mschool and having my home setup I'd probably be the same place i am right now . a poor musician with no band members
but now I can use me ear for other people and the sequenced songs I've made . not as good but better than nothing , and maybe one day I'll say good thing I kept it up OR I WOULD HAVE GAVE UP A LONG TIME AGO

thnx