Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2003, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Musicians!! Read this, stop, and think...

Happened to me too.

While I was demystifiying many mixing and engineering concepts and acquiring a wealth of technical knowledge, I also found myself being consumed by audio and the idea of making music in the studio. I would look forward to reading a certain article, or follow an interesting thread on this DUC more so than actually recording any music. I loved browsing Ebay and online retailer's sites for what gear could I possibly add to the setup, then head over to anothter site to read 50 user reviews on that one synth I've been eyeing. Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months, and all this time, barely a note or musical passage to proudly claim mine.

Then, one day, I just f___ing snapped and couldn't take it anymore. Life is waaay too short for all this piddly crap. The more I listened to some of my favorite music on my iPod everyday on the commute to work, the more I realised that the best stuff was often the simplest, in terms of sounds and arrangements (of course, rather subjective - all depends on what you like). I concluded that if I kept moping around as I did, a good 5 year chunk could fly right by me and I'd have done nothing but learn a few more eq and compression techniques. Oh, but not for me to use, of course, for me to suggest on a recording forum.

Four years ago, I didn't even know what a compressor was, other than the one you find in the fridge. To eq something simply meant add bass or treble, simple as that. To mix meant to keep everything at center, pan just a few things left and right, and adjust volumes for each instrument. Slap a bit of reverb across the mix and call it a day. Mastering? Huh...I won't even mention what I thought that meant!

Those tracks I did when I first started - and knew nothing of the technical side - are some of the best I've done to this day, and I'm not even kdding. They hold up to anything I've done since, which is ions better in terms of sonic quality and production, but it seems a bit of the soul has gone amiss. Sure, I like my newer stuff too, but the storytelling isn't as vivid as in the old pieces.

My advice? Find a palette of sounds you really like, say a dozen or so, and just use these for your compositions - that is if it's an album you're hoping to piece together. Work with less, but of these less, find the best sounds you can. This is what I did in order to get my head screwed back in again. I sold a lot of old crappy gear, took an entire week to manage my samples and folders (by instrument, style, hits, loops, etc.) and completely minimized my setup with an 002R, Reason and Live and a G4 Powerbook. My workflow has increased tremendously and the motivation has been back for quite some time now, and besides NI's Reaktor Sessions and an 88-key weighted keyboard, there's nothing I want in terms of gear right now. I'm accepting to work the best I can with what I have.

Hopefully, you'll eventually turn the light on, too. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2003, 10:23 PM

Yup, me too. I definitely used to do more with less (granted it sounds much better now than the ol' cassette 4-track). It really drives me nuts sometimes-- lots of pent up creative energy.

I often think "Man, if only had all of this stuff back then-- what I could've done" or "It would've/could've been so much better". Then I realize I probably wouldn't have even gotten as far as recording if I actually did have all this stuff back then.

I've actually made a promise to myself (an early new years resolution of sorts) that I'm REALLY (No, really... I REALLY mean it this time... seriously...) going to make the time to actually make some music on a consistant basis.

It's been working for at least the last week or so,,, we'll see if it lasts...
---
c
Old 12-04-2003, 10:53 PM

This is a great thread. Should be required reading for everyone---

PC
Old 12-04-2003, 11:20 PM

Somehow it´s right!

I spent the last year getting new equipment and learning how to get into the work flow...
but now it´s time to do some creative stuff with it.

Great post!

Greets

Markus
Old 12-05-2003, 12:14 AM

Quote:

Four years ago, I didn't even know what a compressor was, other than the one you find in the fridge.
....and you know what, modern music would probably be in better shape if compression was only found in fridges....

Andi
Old 12-05-2003, 01:10 AM

I will admit that it has taken a hold of me, but not to the point to give up women and beer.......wow that's crazy talk there. Anyways I found my solution to this problem that enabled me to continue with old projects and new ones while learning the new gadgets. It happened when I started getting clients.........they force you to do stuff, they pay you money so that you stop F'ing around and get to work. Also another source that got me on track was school...........my video class has introduced me to a whole new world of audio/video arts that I have been very involved with lately. I have been learning five times the pace of reading manuels, chasing updates and scanning web sites for the latest greatest toys, by simply having some one MOTIVATE me to put it to work.

Motivation + Determination = Success (music)

Old 12-05-2003, 01:54 AM

Yeah, great post!

I go through phases too

What you have to remember when you get out this particular phase is....

You can't write great stuff every day.
The switches and knobs in front of you are tools to do a job, sometimes that hammer hits your thumb, or the nail bends when hammering it too hard. Things go wrong, and your creativity just doesn't flow.
Don't get frustrated, have a break and relax, another day will come where compositions write themselves.
Every one of the great composers/poets/playrights etc have gone through frustrating periods.
Its human nature, keep thinking how lucky you are to have the talent of creativness, and the tools to channel it.

Good luck

Andrew
Old 12-05-2003, 01:59 AM

I cant believe I read this thread also as well as all the other...I am a digital moron too....god bless us all
Old 12-05-2003, 03:10 AM

The further down this thread you get,,having read all of the responses,nodding your head in agreament and realising what a twat you are for having fallen for all the hype,,the greater the irony becomes,,
All i ever wanted to have was my four-track tape machine,,my silly old drum machine and some way of recording my guitar at huge volume with out freeking out the neighbours all in one convieniant package,,
Well after four and a half years,,and I would hate to have to work out ow much money,,I feel I am almost there,,all i need now is to have PLUGGO3 come over to OSX and I'm sorted,,
AMPLITUBE,,BFD,,REASON,,PT 6,,,G4 DP 1.25,,001,,,RODE NT 3,,ABSYNTH 2,,REAKTOR 4,,What more could i want,,?HHmm well lets see,,there is that,,,
Great thread,,i used to feel so lonley
Old 12-05-2003, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Mastering? Huh...I won't even mention what I thought that meant!
too funny LOL
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12