Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2002, 07:36 PM

Default Please take a moment to stop and think?

Is this a generation that has missed a very essential part of of this buisness? Is everyone who bought a guitar yesterday and a Digi 001 today think thier ready to make records. Everyone's worried to much about motherboards and drives when they don't even know how to get a gtr sound, place a mic or understand any of the realy important things about what we are doing. I don't mean for this to discourage anyone starting out,I just hope we can help the younger up and commings with some good advise for thier future and the future history of the music we will all create together.

What scares me is that I can pick out Pro tools songs on the radio in seconds flat. The same tricks and effects that everyone else is using. It is our job as engineers, producers and songwriters to try to step out of the box and use your minds to take things to new unfimillar places. Jimmy Page was the king of that. Somethings are very simple. Use your head. Stop using sound replacer and triggering everything to "Save Time". No wonder every mix that I hear these days sounds the same. ORIGINALITY!

We all will eventually have to look in the mirror and remind ourselves that no matter what happens we are the music writters, engineers, producers, players and buyers of modern music. I personaly am making the choice to refuse to go down in history as a mac or PC based human being. Music comes from inside the soul and each one of us has something special to share. Please don't loose site of this miracle.

I would like to see if I'm the only one that feels this way or am I one of many. I'm sure that's probably why I still hit 2" tape on my way to pro tools. lol

Please don't think of my post as Pro Tools Bashing. Far from, Pro Tools could possible be the most powerful tool ever giving to music. It was more like a reminder to be a independent thinker. As far as the comments about the hardware issue, I'am one of those people seeking info from guys like Allen. That stuff helps us all get farther quicker.

Pro Tools is just what the name says. A tool.

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-04-2002, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Please take a moment to stop and think?

Here here! True words with deep meaning.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:27 PM

praise be alah
Old 06-04-2002, 09:32 PM

Pro Tools IS merely a tool, you could actually teach a child to use. Just another computer program, ie. 'Word', etc. Though, certainly a very good one for music, without some general knowledge of music its almost meaningless. 'Word' isnt gonna help you much if you cant construct a sentence or you have'nt anything to say.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:18 AM

i agree just look at all these mtv rock bands coming out of the woodwork they all sound exact cant tell em apart they need to go back and learn to be themselves not fit in the "mtv mold"
Old 06-05-2002, 01:24 AM

I agree with all that you say but I also think that thanks to pro tools you can do amazing things (as you say) that in the beggining you could'nt do... so when you first use this tool the first effects that come to your mind are the easiest to program and apply... thanks to that i've been able to start expanding my mind (after beeing in a rock-garage band for 8 years) and see that there are other things you can do with your music. I agree with all that you say i repeat, but thanks to digi all production stuff has arrived to us, poor musicians, and when we get to real studios we are not just another stupid saying... can you put My guitar LOUDER ! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Al.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:50 AM

I couldn't have said it better myself. Music is art, not business, and it is past time we started thiking that way again.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:27 AM

Many good points.
Quote:
Though, certainly a very good one (application) for music, without some general knowledge of music, PT is almost meaningless.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I afraid that this is an unevitable consequence of increased availability of these tools. People will throw themselves over PT LE without any knowledge at all. Well, I say let them! The proof is in the pudding.
Who knows, maybe this actually can be of benefit to the general development of recording "culture".
Or is this what we are actually afraid of? Being "overtaken"?
I just hope they dont clog up these excellent forums with questions about technical stuff.

But of course, we should all be aware of these pitfalls, "being controlled" by the software etc.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2002, 05:22 AM

Sounds like generational elitism to me. This whole topic is based the twisted logic of the "in my day" syndrome.

People use the tools that are available to them at any given moment in time. No set of tools are any more "Valid" than what came before. It's just a different approach to the same ends.

I believe that a lot of us take this Pro Tools LE far too seriously. I mean if you want to take and elitist approach think of what the Pro Tools TDM users are thinking of us. Are we any less valid than them? I bet they view Pro Tools LE as a toy compared to their systems. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2002, 06:10 AM

Damn... And all this time I thought I was talented BEFORE PT came out. Oh well, back to the drawing board...

dk