Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2002, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Is APOGEE ROSETTA a must?

so do the Lucid and Apogee replace the 001 as a soundcard? or do you have to patch them into the 001 somehow in order to get the data into the computer and onto the hard drive??

t.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:35 AM

I got an honest answer from an engineer at www.mercenary.com who carries both Apogee and Lucid converters. Basically they said, "I carry Apogee, but I don't recommend them. If you want great converters stick with the Lucid line. I would never use Apogee myself."
I've heard alot of negatives about Apogee and RME, but not one bad comment about Lucid and Waves L2 hardware limiter/converter. The Waves L2 was co-developed by Manley Labs and according to users on the TDM forum, it is the best front end to ProTools. I'm still deciding myself.
Good luck.
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2002, 12:59 AM

...and RME makes a lightpipe ADI8-pro with 8 analog in/outs that also is way better than stock 001 converters. I love mine.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-26-2002, 07:36 AM

I am considering a rosetta. Can anyone tell me , is it worth the extra money to get the 96 k version rather than the 48k. Why would I need the 96 k. ?
Old 01-26-2002, 08:46 AM

Seems to be the most sought after answer right now. There is over 300 posts throughout the DUC regarding sample rates and quality. In theory the 96K should deliver better quality sound than 48K. The question is whether you can hear it by the time you convert it down to 44.1 for CD. Are people willing to pay for hot air? Yep!
Right now 96K seems to be industry standard for recording, however CD is still 44.1K and I doubt it will change in the next 10 years. Will some other media take its place? Will Mini High Def. CDs take its place or chips? Who knows.
By the way I found an Apogee 96K at www.ebay.com for 1200.00. It was a demo unit from an authorized dealer with full waurantee. Lucid A/D2496 is only 600.00 and I've heard that the quality kicks Apogee's butt.
Good luck.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:02 AM

Ya know....

The problem with Mercenary, (and Fletcher in general) is that he ONLY carries high end merchandise.....and so IT ALL SOUNDS GOOD! How do you sell someone on the difference between two products when that difference is VERY SUBTLE?
Well, you make broad general statements like "I would never use Apogee myself" that come off arrogant because people are less likely to challenge them (face to face) and then you can sell which ever unit has a better profit margin. A lot has to do with "politics".
For instance, Mercenary doesn't carry Millenia Media products, NOT because they aren't "professional" or an excellent value for the money (which is what they will tell you), but because Fletcher got in some pissing contest with the company president.
Don't get me wrong. I like Mercenary and I respect the lines they carry. But just remember that opinions are like @ssholes, we all have them and they all stink.
In the end, both Lucid and Apogee are great units, and will more than suffice for electronic music. Use your ears. If you do order from Mercenary, they will give you 30 days to try it out,.....you don't like it, then send it back.
So try them out.

As for the 96k thing. If you are using a 001 and PT for most of your recording, then right now there is no reason to order a 96k box. 44.1 or 48k will do. You can take (or leave) my (ahem) "opinion" as someone who is signed to a label and produces electronic music on an Apogee running at 44.1 in Pro Tools LE.

Even if Pro tools upgrades the software to handle 96k on LE, then you can upgrade the Apogee later on to handle that spec if you should so decide.
It's really win-win.

cheers [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2002, 09:09 AM

I've heard through the grapevine that the 96K feature is coming for PTLE. I mean think about it, would Digi want to put out something that is behind Nuendo? Would they want their PTHD clients to record in 96K and then have to convert to 48k for taking sessions home and editing with PTLE? I would go for the 96K box and if you don't want to go with the 1200-8000.00 Apogee, then go with the Lucid 2496 for 600.00.
That was a good point on Mercenary Audio, however I found a review that showed Fletcher engineering in his studio on a separate website and he was using the Lucid converters in his own recording studio.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:21 AM

Allen,
Yeah, I agree about the Nuendo thing, and especially the portability issue between HD sessions and LE sessions.
Personally, I am going to wait for the industry to sort out what the next "consumer" standard will be (DVD-A, SACD??) before I change the way I work.
Right now, it still has to be dithered down to 16/44.1 for CD, and I am not convinced that I want to introduce sample rate conversion into the audio goo. I will be anxious to hear the difference though(if there is one - a big debate on the HD board). In general, it's an exciting time....

Take care. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2002, 09:51 AM

I agree with you. I think that people that can hear the difference between 44.1 and 192k have fun listening in their own studios, but what is the difference if it has to be bounced to 44.1 anyway and played in some crappy boom box or Sony discman? Are we paying for alot of hot air here? Will clients ask for 192k or will the name Pro Tools be enough? I remember the first time I was looking for a recording studio, I just wanted the name Pro Tools and didn't have a clue on sample rates, converters etc. Hopefully Digi can keep the standard going here.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:07 AM

Ok so if i was to record through one of these a/d converters bypassing the 001 then came out of 001's own converters into my soundcraft ghost ,would that be defeating the object of having the a/d converter in the first place or ist still a worthy thing to have in my 001 setup.
I also wanna be able to master through it at the final stage before the cdr.
Also i spoke to a tech guy at apogee & he said" that even if you go in through the rosetta & you come out the other end through the 001 's converters the rosetta is still clocking the d/a process which i must confess i dont understand too well.
But lets say for now it does,will this be also true with the lucid?

Still trying to work out which is the one to get ..apogee or lucid.
my weakness is more low level rather than sound quality ,i'm hoping this converter will get me a louder level on my final mix + a little more definition.