Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2002, 10:36 AM

Default Is APOGEE ROSETTA a must?

Ok i've been considering in the last couple weeks to upgrade my 001 system somehow to get better gain & quality into my final mixes.I produce alot of high energy breakbeat techno stuff which depends highly on a loud master which my current 001/g4 466/soudcraft ghost system lacks.
My question is: is the apogee rosetta an essential tool for bypassing the 001 for getting a better sound not to mention also mastering from my soundcraft ghost to the tascam cdr spdif in the final coversion process.
Will i notice a big big difference! or isit all pie in the sky?
Please anyone who has got an rosetta give your honest opinion as my funds are very stretched,but i do feel i am at the point were i have noticed that the overall level of my finished mixes needs to get to a higher level.
I have also been considering a d24 system to upgrade to but the more & more i've read on this issue i've noticed that people are just getting these rosettas & upgrading their cpus to get a tdm.. ish quality on their mixes.
please help any info would be much appreciated. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2002, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Is APOGEE ROSETTA a must?

you should consider the lucid ad96 too,
It is less $ and some people like it better than the rosetta. Including me.

There is considerable difference between the 001 converters and either apogee or lucid. you will hear it. no doubt.

my $.02

also check RME and Swissonic
Old 01-25-2002, 11:29 AM

its just a matter of taste yes a rosetta wil make your tracks come to life and a lucid also
but apogee has a up grade chip for the rosetta
i own a apogee but i worked whit lucid before
the only differnce ther is. is that you get a warmer sound on a apogee lucid is crisp and but they both rock i see alot of synth users work whit lucid and the acustic use a rosetta
if you own both your going to sound like gold
Old 01-25-2002, 11:47 AM

I use the lucid A/D and D/A 9624s to make dance orientated stuff, just synths and samplers, and there is no way I could go back to using the 001s converters. They breathe new life into all your mixes and really demonstrate the quality of most synths ... the 001 wasnt revealing the subtle aspects of some patches. Much bigger stereo field. Its cash well spent. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2002, 01:31 PM

I'm also looking to spend some extra cash on either Presonus Digimax/Rosetta or a Lucid box. I read a lot on the Digimax and I like the fact that it has eight pre's. Anyone using either of these units (especially Digimax) that could share some insights on the results you're getting.

Many thanks,

RnR
Old 01-25-2002, 01:49 PM

Yes, it makes a difference. But before you get better converters, get better mics. Its a gradual uprgrade.
I supposed for electronica mics are less of an issue. SO the converter at the final stage would be a welcomed improvement.
Have you noticed that all the Apogee owners swear by Apogee and All the Lucid owners swear by Lucid? Odd.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:04 PM

Tommydee-These converters dont replace the PCI card that the 001 uses they are just an alternative front end with better A/D and D/A conversion quality for getting signals in and out of the card.I connect the Lucids using Toslink (optical S/PDIF) cables to and from the 001 card but you can use coaxial instead.The lightpipe connectors are on the card itself and the coaxials on the 001 box.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:34 PM

Actually, with Apogee new Firewire card, you can plug your converters right into your computer.

The mini-me is also a mic preamp/compressor/converter that plugs right into your computer.

So no more need for an audio interface, those ARE audio interfaces.
http://www.apogeedigital.com/news/news_namm02.html

6am eternal
Old 01-25-2002, 02:52 PM

Ok now im getting really confused.
Which one do i go for ,the apogee or the lucid?
I've made up my mind to take the leap of getting one of these units but which fairs better for both the tasks of recording into the 001 & also for the final master to cdr?
I really do need opinions here guys because im completely lost to which is better.
I've been scouring the back post's & also reviews but i hear contridicting opions on both units ,i know that the lucid is cheaper but money is not an issue here ,i just want the best tried & tested unit for the job.
some review the lucid as more a truer sound than the more warm coloring of the rosetta .Im not a sucker for absoloute detail i just want more of a broad fatter sounding mix with more level & clarity.
please any feedback or opinions would be much appreciated.

thanks
Old 01-25-2002, 03:06 PM

most music stores like sam ash or guitar center give you 30 days to try out the gear
thats what i did it all comes down to your
ears so only you can settel this