Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2021, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Post fader inserts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killah_trakz View Post
So with those who have experienced post inserts on other daws. Place your favorite saturation as post insert then drive the fader into it.

Think of it as driving the circuit.

Let me know your feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So just to be clear the only thing you'd want a post-fader insert for is saturation? In that case, maybe the option to replace HEAT with another saturation plug-in would be better? I can't see any other type of processing working after the fader. Delay and other effects would make no sense. A compressor, maybe, but then you'd need *another* fader after it to control the level in the mix. So not really. A limiter? Makes no sense to me either really.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
So just to be clear the only thing you'd want a post-fader insert for is saturation? In that case, maybe the option to replace HEAT with another saturation plug-in would be better? I can't see any other type of processing working after the fader. Delay and other effects would make no sense. A compressor, maybe, but then you'd need *another* fader after it to control the level in the mix. So not really. A limiter? Makes no sense to me either really.

Nope I have other reasons. But I have outboard summing so I give each channel its own color and work from there. It gives me a real console feeling.

I have a dcommand and unfortunately channel strip plugins come with there own fader which the daw doesn’t control and it STINKS.

Well back to mixing I go. Thanks for those who understand but don’t knock it until you try it.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:45 AM

I am not advocating for this and haven't used it , but if post fader plugs are useless, what case does that make for post fader sends?
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 07-02-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I am not advocating for this and haven't used it , but if post fader plugs are useless, what case does that make for post fader sends?
Post-fader sends are used all the time so the amount of level sent to a e.g. delay is the same relative to the level of the fader. Your example makes no sense.

Edit : maybe I'm misunderstanding you and you mean a post-fader send after the post-fader-insert. A "post-fader-insert-send". That to me is just another example of why a post-fader-insert can't work. What would happen to the post-fader sends? They get ignored, presumably? And then you get signals sent to the saturation from the mix bus, but not to the e.g. delay? Man it's just making my brain hurt.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:07 AM

Post Fader INSERT. Not send.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:13 AM

Listen to Rich.
Trim/gain plugin puts a fader wherever you want.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:20 AM

deleted

Last edited by Tweakhead; 07-03-2021 at 10:00 AM.