Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2001, 02:04 PM

Default Re: how long can the digi 001 cable be?

As per Digidesign recommendation on DUC post 003469 , I contacted Gefen, who had no info on either the connector type or manufacturer. They did however agree that the cable could be made longer. It may require a gauge size larger to accomodate current draw depending on length, which the connector can accomodate. I will continue to research the manufacturer of this assembly and connector, and keep all informed.
I realize there may be noise issues with the 3-8 unbalanced -10db outputs, but since I do not use them or the mic pre's, this should help to keep the current draw down, thus supplying ample current to the device for my purposes.
www.npstudios.com

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: where02190 ]
Old 09-10-2001, 02:26 PM

May I suggest you look at Startech.com.

I just searched for AMP connectors (the name on a similar connector for the older Session 8 - ADAT interface.

The Digi cable will connect to a 2940 SCSI card (50pin).

This site has 'gender changers' that may enable you to use a good quality SCSI cable once you have adapted it for use.

It may not work but then it may be a cheap alternative and they may have long cables that may suit

Karl
Old 09-10-2001, 02:48 PM

phamtec has assumed (and most have followed) that there is _analog_ audio floating up the line with the midi and Power. Digi has said there is audio _data_ along with the midi and power.

Digi have obviously done tests and found too much data was lost in longer cable lengths. I doubt that they did this in listening tests, They would have had devices checking the data integrity at each end.

Sure you could build a cable using higher guage conductors and make it really long, but would there be too much data lost? Would there be data crosstalk?
Do you know enough about the way the cable is made and its EMF rejection capabilities?

Oh yeah, There doesn't seem to be too much reson why you cant have longer optical cables.

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Muzza ]
Old 09-10-2001, 03:35 PM

I think the issue is centered around power, really, as was previously alluded to in the post by Digi. Digi001 is getting powered by the Mac after all. For example, most usb midi interfaces draw power from the synths they interface with, but in some cases may require additional power from a separate power supply as in instances when really long cables (30 foot) are being used, or when midi is accelerated for such distant connections. I believe Digi when they say that the cable's length is already at the optimum reliability threshold.
Old 09-10-2001, 06:49 PM

Agreed, I too believe the major issue is power. I'm sure if you max out the interfaces potential, it's gonna be close to current limit. However, since I have no intention of using the mic pre's, headphone out, or outs 3-8 (you know, the unbalanced -10db ones) I feel that there should not be a problem with additional length. The midi and audio data will certainly make the extra run with good wuality cabling.
I have seen on other posts the suggestion that this is a 50 pin SCSI connector, and am going to look into that aspect. Ideally, I would prefer to manufacture my own, but without a pin out from DIGI, which I am quite certain they are not going to give out, I'd be a bit lost. Worse case, I'll try to buy another cable and then I can use that to decypher the pinout and the necessary cable requirements. More to come...
Old 09-10-2001, 08:32 PM

You could probably run power separately if that was the concern.

It is sort of nice to have it all in one cable, but they DO have to be damn close to make it work.
Old 09-11-2001, 01:23 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by karlp:
The Digi cable will connect to a 2940 SCSI card (50pin).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not familiar with the 2940 SCSI card, but all SCSI-II interfaces I have seen with this "style" connector shell were similar, but also quite different. I placed the two connectors side by side yesterday. They both have the same size shell, and the same spring-clip retaining locks, and I wouldn't be too surprised if the 001 cable would plug onto the mating SCSI connector. However, the individual contacts are very different. The SCSI connector has a individual pins, (which can get bent by the way) but the Digi cable has an internal double-sided strip containing the contacts -- much like the old Centronics printer connector from many years ago, but on a micro scale.

This probably would be called a sub-mini D connector of some sort. Kind of hard to find without clear pictures, which not all distributors seem to bother with these days. I'd tend to doubt it is a fully custom connector, though anything is possible I guess.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:36 PM

I'm sure that if the cable could be longer and work just as well, Digi would be selling an optional long one. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2001, 05:45 AM

yeah because if it was possible we could have voices and a smpte timeline in PT's. so obviously they would maximize somethings functionality if they could. I mean having a set of balanced +4 outputs on the digi001 and 6 other outputs -10 unbalanced was absolutely neccesary. they did this cause they had to. and BTW I do use all the analog outputs cause I like having a physical mixer to set levels, etc.
Old 09-12-2001, 02:01 PM

OK, and what about the -10 outputs? was this a savings too? seems retarded to me to have 2 outputs balanced and 6 not. this presents a problem for me as I use a mackie 24-8 and can only switch the operating level on groups of 8 channels. obviously this is a great product and the best software but intentionally limited so it wouldnot canabolize on $10k TDM sales because we know how comparable these products really are. a g4 with a couple of digi001's (without the obvious limitations)is almost as good as a tdm system.