Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2001, 07:26 AM

Default how long can the digi 001 cable be?

can you use other cables with the digi001 or are you stuck with the one that ships with the digi001?

Does anyone find it difficult to keep your adat, the computer, and the digi001 interface all within 3 feet of each other? I can deal with the interface and adat next to each other but the computer must be next to the adat so you can connect the optical connector from the pci card to the optical connector on the adat.

any input would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-2001, 09:21 AM

Default Re: how long can the digi 001 cable be?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ccstudios:
can you use other cables with the digi001 or are you stuck with the one that ships with the digi001?

Does anyone find it difficult to keep your adat, the computer, and the digi001 interface all within 3 feet of each other?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know exaclty what you mean! Most CPU's are noisy, and I want to be able to put the CPU in the next room, while still having easy access to the 001's face for monitoring levels, etc. I also don't like the restriction of having to keep my CPU so close to my racks.

I called TS a year ago and asked if any longer cables were available. They said no, and had no suggestion as to how I could work around this. Does anyone know if the cable is proprietery or if it is an "off the shelf" part? I've never seen that kind of connector anywhere else.

The TDM users have long cable lengths, and so should we.

encephalon
Old 09-05-2001, 11:49 AM
Administrator

The Digi 001 cable is proprietary. It is shorter than the TDM peripheral cables because it carries all of these in a single cable between the PCI card and the breakout box:
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Audio data
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">MIDI
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Power
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It was designed for ease of setup and to eliminate the need for an external power supply with a wall wart or line lump.

Testing during initial design showed the final cable length used to be the maximum before possible data loss occurred.
Old 09-05-2001, 01:02 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ccstudios:
but the computer must be next to the adat so you can connect the optical connector from the pci card to the optical connector on the adat<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may be limited by the length of the 001 cable, but the optical cable can be much longer. Checking the Alesis AI3 manual (which uses the same optical interface) tells me: "The maximum APF [plastic fiber] cable length recommended is 10 meters (33 feet). Optical cables up to 5 meters in length can be purchased through Alesis Parts (800-5-ALESIS)."

This might help you out.
Kurt
Old 09-05-2001, 02:18 PM

the alesis cable will help, thanks guys.
Old 09-05-2001, 04:09 PM

The Digi 001 cable is proprietary. It is shorter than the TDM peripheral cables because it carries all of these in a single cable between the PCI card and the breakout box: Audio data MIDI Power

I'm not buying this. I've used digital snakes that were 300' long. Midi cables that were 25' long. If Digidesign increased the power cbl gauge to add 10' add'l length it would not make any significant increase in cable diameter.
I too, could not find anyone who could get this type of connector, but if I could, I'd make me one about 25' long, and I am guessing it would work just fine.
Old 09-05-2001, 04:22 PM

looks just like a scsi 3 cable [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

dave
Old 09-05-2001, 10:51 PM

where090210,

Did you read the post? I think Digi said that they were sending --- AUDIO --- Up the line.

So it's not just digital data as you incorrectly assumed.

Transmit line level (or whatever it is, probably lower) 25'... Isn't that why we use balanced cables?

Get a clue.
Old 09-06-2001, 12:29 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Digidesign:
It was designed for ease of setup and to eliminate the need for an external power supply with a wall wart or line lump.

Testing during initial design showed the final cable length used to be the maximum before possible data loss occurred.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info.

encephalon
Old 09-06-2001, 06:45 AM

I agree, again, probably BS and if they had balanced the god damn outputs then we could run it 25 feet and yes it does look like the rare 50 pin scsi 3 cables, or is it 68 pin?