Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2020, 03:22 AM

Default PT2019.12 CPU Issue

i have a macbook pro 16" best processor... catalina newest version. from one day to the next the cpu issue returned....it looks like it is not protools. even without any active plg-in playback stops..... processor is on 2% in protools..... any ideas where i could locate the issue?
Old 02-08-2020, 10:18 PM

Default Re: PT2019.12 CPU Issue

Depending on the OS wouldn’t Task Manager or Activity Monitor tell you where you have 2% CPU activity if it isn’t ProTools causing it. And also if PT isn’t causing this CPU issue why are you posting here for help?
Old 02-09-2020, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixfarm View Post
i have a macbook pro 16" best processor... catalina newest version. from one day to the next the cpu issue returned....it looks like it is not protools. even without any active plg-in playback stops..... processor is on 2% in protools..... any ideas where i could locate the issue?
Might be related to the issue I am having too?

Occasionally here even when the cpu is like 2%, it freezes up for a few seconds then spikes all cores to 100% red and then overload.. is this what is happening to you too?
Old 02-13-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post

Occasionally here even when the cpu is like 2%, it freezes up for a few seconds then spikes all cores to 100% red and then overload.. is this what is happening to you too?
So I've been having this same problem for the past month or so. I'm not sure when it first appeared. It's either when I upgraded to 2019.12, installed the new iLok drivers, or when I moved my hdx card out of an internal pcie slot to my Sonnet Express III.

About 3/4 times a day, the whole computer will freeze for about 4 seconds when I do one of the following things (which you think would all be completely benign):

-Naming a track
-Clicking on an insert box so that I insert a plugin.
-Selecting a dropdown menu at the top of the screen... for example, just clicking on Audiosuite

Playback will stop, the screen will freeze, and if I have the System Usage window open, once the computer becomes responsive again, the CPU usage will spike hard briefly. Who knew that it takes all the cores of an i9 to name a track? hahaha

I've now taken up the habit of when I open a session, I'll click a dropdown menu, double-click on a track name, and click on an insert box. This seems to clear up any issues, if there are any, and then it's smooth going until I open up the next session.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post

So I've been having this same problem for the past month or so. I'm not sure when it first appeared. It's either when I upgraded to 2019.12, installed the new iLok drivers, or when I moved my hdx card out of an internal pcie slot to my Sonnet Express III.

About 3/4 times a day, the whole computer will freeze for about 4 seconds when I do one of the following things (which you think would all be completely benign):

-Naming a track
-Clicking on an insert box so that I insert a plugin.
-Selecting a dropdown menu at the top of the screen... for example, just clicking on Audiosuite

Playback will stop, the screen will freeze, and if I have the System Usage window open, once the computer becomes responsive again, the CPU usage will spike hard briefly. Who knew that it takes all the cores of an i9 to name a track? hahaha

I've now taken up the habit of when I open a session, I'll click a dropdown menu, double-click on a track name, and click on an insert box. This seems to clear up any issues, if there are any, and then it's smooth going until I open up the next session.