Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2000, 04:00 AM

Default ok, what\'s going on w/ exploding sound?!

Digidesign, what is happening with the random exploding sound problem? You have not responded to the "extremely strange exploding sound" thread scince the supposed "waves fix" ( i dont have any waves on my system and i'm still deaf). what is going on? a response of any kind would be welcome at this stage. even a " we don't know yet". Otherwise how do i get a refund?

angry lunch
Old 08-16-2000, 07:33 AM
Avid

Default Re: ok, what\'s going on w/ exploding sound?!

Given the current amount of evidence available, it appears that the Waves fix has dealt with the primary "explosive sound" that many users had documented.

There have been a handfull of additional reports that did not appear to involve waves plugins. However "explosive sound" is admittedly subjective, and I have read varying comments about noise and about clicks and pops and other types of things that currently do not appear to be software bugs and have been unreproducable.

If you are currently experiencing repetitive explosive or distorted full code digital hash NOT associated with Waves plugins please document your system and setup here with any information you might have to reproduce this behavior and we will do our best to reproduce it, document it and find a solution.

Bob Langlie
Digidesign Customer Support
Old 08-16-2000, 09:49 AM

If it was Waves, it's cured with WaveShell 2.9.2b2. No more distortion
Przemek.
Old 08-18-2000, 09:43 AM

I am running a g4 400 ( early model motherboard) digi 001 pt le and the plug ins that came with it. I have an additional seagate 28 gig ata drive partitioned into 4. This is not a click or a pop but a fullblown ear shattering digital distortion. It is completley random in it's occurence. An it's driving me nuts.

Mr lunch
Old 08-18-2000, 11:10 AM

Mr Lunch,

Does the sound happen with previously recorded sessions that you are playing back...or ..with new sessions?

Does it happen only on playback..or while recording? (or someother place..such as using or adding plugins?)

Try making a new session. Record some new material...doesn't matter what..but..let it record for about 3 - 5 mins. (don't use any preexisting files on your drive for this...record from an external source).

Do you get the pop?

Where is your cpu and all periphals plugged into?

What else is plugged into the power strip besides your cpu and periphials?

Are you using any video decks?

What other decks are you using? (tape..dat..etc)

Where are they plugged in?

How old are the cables the connect these devices?

Do any of them have the 3r ground pin..lifted..or...not have a ground pin?

Try taking your cpu to any other location.
Plugit in and test it.

My guess is...its either some kind of fragmentation or smutz on your hard disk...or...its a grounding/static problem...static build up...that discharges into your inputs/outputs.

With that in mind...try to find any other way you can think of to isolate and test this.

To test the ground/static problem...take your cpu..to a friends..or relatives..who don't live in the same structure you do..and plug it in...and test it there.

If you don't have any problems...then..your problem is either with your power supply/setup at home..or..one of the devices..that you unplugged..but..didn't take with you to test at the other location.

If its any consolation...I recently had the a similar problem at work...using a matrox digisuite...and and several beta/DV decks. It was a power problem that was solved by purchasing..and setting up..a power conditioner. My point being..it had nothing to do with protools or any of their hardware..as..we weren't...don't..use it there.

Post back.

dcornutt
Old 08-19-2000, 08:00 AM

dcornutt,
It happens both in playback and in recording with both old and new sessions.
i get the blast with new material, as per usual this is random i can go a week with nothing and then have it straight for 4 days.
Cpu and peripherals plugged into a wall socket with a surge protector.
No video decks.
Nothing else plugged in to powerstrip.
No other decks used.
Mainly use a neuman u - 87 straight into digi preamp.
i will try relocating everything tommorow to see if i get the same problem
Thanks for the suggestion.

lunch out
Old 09-18-2000, 05:31 PM

Well it happened to me for the first time today. Man is it irritating!!!! Full volume random digital noise right after hitting space bar, sometimes just a spike, sometimes for about a tenth of a second. It's happening 1 out of 3 times I hit either playback or record. It's practically making my session unusable.

It's an old session. The noise sounds like random digital data. It peaks out the master fader display (red overload). I do not have any third party plug ins. It is a 24 bit session with some compressors and eq. That is all.

I noticed that I never got it to explode in Low Latency Monitoring.

I am running a 400 Mhz Sawtooth, 384MB RAM, 28 Gig Barracuda drive, and an installed (but idle) Apple SCSI Card.

I captured a short bounce to disk of one of the explosions. Who should I mail it to???

This is extremely irritating. It's like schizophrenic shock treatment.
Old 09-18-2000, 06:08 PM

More Data:

None of the individual track meters seem to come on when the spike hits. Just the main meters. Also I went ahead and found an email address to send the sounds to: [email protected]. Is this address correct??

The waveform looks funny. Both left and right channels are identical. It is 4 full code negative samples, followed by 28 full code positive samples = 32 sample period.

32 -- hmm??? Sounds computer like, doesn't it???

The sample I caught repeats 4 times, or 128 samples. It's short, but long enough to definitely cause ear pain. (3 ms).

Other occurences have seemed both shorter and longer to me, but with the same exact type of sound. I'll capture more samples if you need them.

Please, Digidesign, let me know if you need more info. I'll be more than happy to provide it.
Old 09-18-2000, 08:03 PM

lunch man I have not received a real answer yet but it could have something to do with heavy automatation. It only happened to me when I highlighted a region and then hit the spacebar. Usually playback did not occur at the beginning of the region. I still haven;t received a real answer on this. Also let's not confuse the exploding sound with the lfo screeching sound. I am still getting pops abd signal loss tied to plug ins. No answer on that yet either. I am going to bump the I am deaf thread and see what happens.
Old 09-18-2000, 09:06 PM

This should help nail this issue down.

keysmia - you mentioned something about automation. Well I previously stated that haven't been able to reproduce the explosion in Low Latency mode. Low Latency does not automate the audio. The graphics automate but the sound doesn't. So it may be a similar situation.

Hmm.

It so happens that the explosion occurs in the exact same place in the song.

Hmm.

I did an experiment. One of my tracks is suspect because it is heavily automated with Mute, Pan, and volume. I only recently added the Mute Automation. The explosion _always_ happens at a point exactly where the mute automation switches from muted to not muted.

Interesting. ..

My experiment would be to count how many times I can play over the mute point (using space bar) before an explostion

Exeriment one: Play 1 bar over mute point. Result: Explosion after 8, 26, 2, 6, 4, and 13 repeats.

Experiment two: play 1 bar over mute point, disable automation on the heavily automated track. Result. No explosion after 75 repeats. I got bored.

Experiment three: Repeat experiment one: Explosion after 23, and 7. good enough for me.

Digidesign -- I would be more than happy to send you my entire session. I would also be happy to repeat this test over the phone so that you can hear it. Please let me know. have been working my ass off tonight to diagnose this irritating problem and I really want to see some good come of it.

At this point, I will continue running w/o automation and will alert you if the explosion ever recurs.