Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Avid

Default Re: Interleaved File import very slow from Workspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
This is very similar to the problem that I have been having, but not in all the details. The beachball for me is typically 1 min and I never noticed a difference with interleaved files (but I wasn't looking for it either) Glad this thread surfaced as I have a couple things to try....

But I will add this for DTS to consider..

I did a clean installation of Snow Leopard on a new drive, but I did migrate all my apps and files, so that dirtied it up again.

I tried the usual troubleshooting suspects, etc no joy. Here's the weird part:

I couldn't fix my primary installation of SL.

So I bought a new drive, did another completely virgin installation of SL, updated with the COMBO updater, and then installed ONLY Protools (no 3rd party plugs, etc). Still no luck!

Then, as a final attempt, I created a new user login in my primary SL partition and guess what... Seems to work just fine like it used to. I haven't spent too much time with PT in the last few months so I can't say it is for sure 100% with the new user login.

Makes no sense, right? A completely fresh installation has the problem but not a new login on a problematic to begin with installation...

I will have to look into the wireless drive situation: I don't have any, but there are 1 or 2 of the "blue drives" in the workspace, one is an iDisk that I don't even subscribe to! But I bet that's the culprit, too!
That is definitely bizarre, but it does gives us some clues that this is user account specific.

Can you detail for me your drive setup, with as much detail as possible about how they're connected, format, type, etc?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
That is definitely bizarre, but it does gives us some clues that this is user account specific.

Can you detail for me your drive setup, with as much detail as possible about how they're connected, format, type, etc?
I'll show a couple pics to show the drives:

with

without

There are 5 SATA drives, 2 partitions each on 4 of them and one bootcamp drive for Vista. 3 partitions have different Mac OS's installed: Leopard, primary Snow Leopard, and a clean SL partition with only PT installed.

In the "with" photo, there are 2 drives for which I don't know what they are or what they imply. They are named "net" and "home". This is the login where importing files takes over a minute. They contain nothing but they can't be unmounted. The error box reads something like "the drive can't be unmounted because it may contain files that are in use"

The other pic shows the new admin user account which works correctly and does not have these 2 phantom drives...

So what are they? why are they there? What does their icon imply? I don't see them in the finder or on the desktop (and I have looked at all the view options to make sure I didn't have something turned off.....)
Old 09-23-2010, 03:01 PM

Bump up to catch DTS attention again...
Old 09-28-2010, 06:30 AM

Bump up again
Old 09-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Flommer,

I'm with you on this. I have the exact same issue and I have now spent over 5 hours trying to diagnose it. I know one thing for sure. If I unplug my internet and reboot my computer those drives will not show up. But the moment I plug-in my Ethernet cable and access the internet in some way or another, those blasted two drives show up and then dragging audio into Pro Tools takes forever.

My connection to the internet is through a Linksys Wireless Router. I am the only computer plugged into the network and to be certain that the laptops weren't causing the problem, I took the batteries out of my laptops.

My drives are all internal Sata drives. I do have 1 bootcamped drive. My other three drives consists of:

1. 500 GB OS Hard Drive/Windows Drive
2. 500 GB Project Drive
3. 1 TB Sampler Drive
4. 1 TB Time Machine Drive

I'm running in 10.6.3 in Pro Tools 8.0.4. 11 GB RAM.

I unplugged everthing from my mac except for my keyboard, mouse and Digilink cables and ilok and these drives still show up.

I have trashed preferences (like everything). I have checked my network settings on my mac to make sure that I was only connected with the ethernet cable.

Possible culprits???

I wonder if Dropbox or iDisk (Mobile Me) might be culprits at all in this.

I also use a DM3200 as a control surface. I have a CME keyboard that has previously been connected with with USB.

I use Vonage which is usually connected to the network. However, during these tests, I disconnected Vonage too and still had the drives showing up.

Flommer, or anybody else with this problem, please reply with any similarities you see with your system.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 09-30-2010, 02:28 PM

home and net are windows sharepoints, no?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:07 AM

Bump again
Old 10-06-2010, 03:30 PM

Bumpity Bumbity Bump.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 10-09-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Flommer,

I'm with you on this. I have the exact same issue and I have now spent over 5 hours trying to diagnose it. I know one thing for sure. If I unplug my internet and reboot my computer those drives will not show up. But the moment I plug-in my Ethernet cable and access the internet in some way or another, those blasted two drives show up and then dragging audio into Pro Tools takes forever.

My connection to the internet is through a Linksys Wireless Router. I am the only computer plugged into the network and to be certain that the laptops weren't causing the problem, I took the batteries out of my laptops.

My drives are all internal Sata drives. I do have 1 bootcamped drive. My other three drives consists of:

1. 500 GB OS Hard Drive/Windows Drive
2. 500 GB Project Drive
3. 1 TB Sampler Drive
4. 1 TB Time Machine Drive

I'm running in 10.6.3 in Pro Tools 8.0.4. 11 GB RAM.

I unplugged everthing from my mac except for my keyboard, mouse and Digilink cables and ilok and these drives still show up.

I have trashed preferences (like everything). I have checked my network settings on my mac to make sure that I was only connected with the ethernet cable.

Possible culprits???

I wonder if Dropbox or iDisk (Mobile Me) might be culprits at all in this.

I also use a DM3200 as a control surface. I have a CME keyboard that has previously been connected with with USB.

I use Vonage which is usually connected to the network. However, during these tests, I disconnected Vonage too and still had the drives showing up.

Flommer, or anybody else with this problem, please reply with any similarities you see with your system.
I can confirm that when I unplug my ethernet cable going to my Clear wireless modem files are able to be dropped into a session with no delay. The net and home folders were not present immediately, but they did appear after a short time. Their presence did not cause a problem per se. After plugging back into the internet the file dragging delay reoccured also. So maybe the net and home folders are simply an indicator of some other networking setting that is causing the problem.

I have been trying to learn about autofs and automounting of network shares (or how to disable these things) thinking that this might be part of the root cause. Not making much headway, however.

DTS, please take a look at this
Old 10-09-2010, 12:15 PM

Yes, Please DTS. Please at least acknowledge that it is a problem that will be fixed down the road. This is very very frustrating. We have posted our specs, we have gone through the troubleshooting you mention. Since we have done these things, we haven't heard anything back.

Also, I should mention that I updated to 8.1 on OS10.6.4 two days ago and the problem still exists.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4