Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2004, 08:57 AM

Default Re: In Respect of Rubbish

Thanks, for all the nice remarks, guys!

The phasiness in the intro may be attributed to that fact that the two 808 kicks were panned hard left and right and pitched differently. I suppose with this sort of panning there is a risk of some sustaining sub-harmonic fequencies. This I will address.

I wanted to use Trent's place because he has a 72 frame SSL. I have only bumped into him a few times but can't really say that we are big buddies or anything. Sorry, for seemingly name dropping.

Thanks again and keep the comments coming!
Old 03-26-2004, 12:23 PM

Hey Shawn,

I listened closely to the parts that you pointed out.

At 1:00 I did notice that the snare could possibly come down a hair, but otherwise I am pretty content with the sound of it. I was going for 'punchy' in that section and I really wan't something to accompany that attack of the piano/guitar.

I have always felt that the transition into the last section at around 2:02 was a little unnerving. I think it might be that the bass is not beefy enough in that part. It doesn't seem to have the right amount of umph to represent that section. It's supposed to have a cheeso, loungy sort of vibe. That is repairable. Who knows?

Thank.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:58 PM

... ok... picture this... Frank Zappa is in Dawn of the Dead, comes back to life, marches to the nearest studio, and HISTORY IS MADE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2004, 01:08 PM

That was cute.

My wife invisions it as a scenario where after the store has closed, all the toys come to life and meander about. You know...doing their thing.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:50 PM

Hi Picksail,
I wrote in on the TDM forum regarding your piece.
Interesting piece (and as others mentioned) I think your pretty close to where you want to be with it.
Being a big fan of mixing and mastering engineers who work outside of the huge label/name projects we buy everyday at the big box retailers -I was wondering where/when/if I could buy the compilation CD (or your CD when it's done) and the publication it's featured in (if available yet or soon?).
Thanks with any info.
L.A.Branville
PS. My original post...
Interesting tune with some nice (and interesting) instrumentation and unique rhythms along with a great sound and stereo mix that sounded great with the ol' headphones on (even for an MP3!).
The only thing I would do (who the hell am I) is introduce more thump, pump, punch, or low end on those drums (could be my current monitoring environment) that, I think-if I remember right, were in the middle or later part of the piece. Maybe even more depth and beef on that vocal early on? However, a lot of clear definition with your varied choices of sounds.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:26 PM

Thanks hurdy,

The compilation CD is an accompaniment to a publication based here in New Orleans called CityLife Magazine.

The issue on which I worked is considered a 'themed issue'. It will be exclusively dedicated to music and the people who make it; not just the musicians themselves. The concept with the CD anyway, was to uncover and expose another side of the local industry. There are so many misconceptions surrounding this city culturally and musically. I can, at least, assure you that none of the artists on this CD operate intruments such as: washboards, jugs or accordians. Albeit, there are some traditional elements included, but this is definately a vast departure from the norm. It was a real treat having as much involvement as I did. I am happy with the results.

The CD is currently being pressed, actually I think it was supposed to ship today. Another story unto itself- if you perform a Google search on 'cd duplication' the second name that pops up is eDoc Publishing. Stay as far away from them as possible. We consequently had to move the project elsewhere at the last minute. The editor has since learned not to take her assistance's word when she says that she has it covered.
Anyway, it's scheduled for an April 20th release along with the magazine. It was intended to conicide with Jazz Fest and The TapeOp Conference, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The magazine, like most, are primarily purchased by subscribers. A portion of the circulation in distributed locally. I may be able to procure a few copies of both the CD/magazine if anyone is interested. I would be happy to mail them out at my cost.

Thanks, for your interest. It means alot.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:36 AM

That would be cool if you could scoop on a few copies or post availability when it's ready.
Thanks for the info!
L.A.Branville
PS. Since the movie "Fargo" everyone thinks that up here in the Twin Cities the disenchanted youth have an accordian lying next to them on the bed instead of that new guitar or tech item. Even though my Grandma could play a killer accordian...and a killer guitar for that matter, or just about any other instrument
Old 03-27-2004, 09:23 AM

Thanks hurdy,

I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:13 PM

Just a heads up. I was informed by the editor of the magazine that she can let them go for as low as $1.50 per issue including the CD. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:51 PM

Default Re: In Respect of Rubbish *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by picksail