Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 08:10 PM

Default Re: 7 ?

Quote:
i think the point is that although they are both balanced, devices with only TRS connectors on them (which is the case in a lot of budget priced equipment), there is no gain control, or at best a -10 / +4 swtich. have you ever seen a device with XLRs and no gain control? most units with only TRS are expecting a line level signal where the audio is being PreAmped at an earlier stage. so yes, there is a difference.
Thank you. Couldn't of said it better ma'self.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I agree, 32 tracks is not acceptable. I just made a very simple song that is nothing more then a synth, drums, and bass, and used 25 tracks.
Most of my songs end up, amazingly, at 32 tracks. It's remarkable how often that happens. However, if I need more tracks, its easy to bounce a few tracks (mixed) and then import them back to the session, freeing up more tracks.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:00 PM

Quote:

Most of my songs end up, amazingly, at 32 tracks. It's remarkable how often that happens. However, if I need more tracks, its easy to bounce a few tracks (mixed) and then import them back to the session, freeing up more tracks.
Yeah -but then if you need to edit the arrangement, or mix, you have to go back to the old session, and redo the edits there as well, then bounce again, and then import into the new session again.

As I said earlier.... what a joke!

(not you Midnight - the fact that we have to do this)

BTW - a 32 track limitation does not push customers up into buying a TDM system - it pushes them into buying competing software.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 09-27-2004, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I agree, 32 tracks is not acceptable. I just made a very simple song that is nothing more then a synth, drums, and bass, and used 25 tracks.
For me, I couldn't do that...Why? Because I change things in my song sparatically, maybe a different plug, different effect etc. But ike I said I accept the 32 track bit, as there are workarounds, but they are unnecassary. And I agree tha, people who use TDM rigs get it for the sound quality, beat detective and other features. Even with LE getting a version of BD, if I had enough money I would still go to TDM, because the sound quality on a TDM rig is top notch. Just because LE doesn't have the right features, doesn't mean someones gonna go for a TDM rig. Just go to Cubase or Logic, less then half the price more features.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:42 PM

Quote:
obviously, I don't know you, so I don't want to make an assumption here, but have you ever used anything that didn't have 32 track count limit? I agree with what tha k man said, and in addition, if you have ever used a competing product that has no limit to track count, you discover how annoying it is to go to a program that DOES have this limitation.........the second you want to do 33 tracks, you have to sit and re-organize things rather than just keep working on what you're doing.

and this is another argument for non-realtime bounce....let's say Digi aint gonna give us more than 32 tracks, then to do your workaround not only means re-organizing things, it also means waiting around for the stupid thing to bounce down in real time, and then you have to put the new file back into the project, which can be a real pain in the ass if the new file doesn't start at absolute zero.

and the next thing you will say is you can use the audio suite version if you don't want to wait...well what if you have plugs on five inserts? then you have to render each plug one at a time. In Sonar for example, you can do this in 1 step rather than 5, and there are two different ways to do it. You can do a bounce to disk where you can pick and choose every single parameter you want bounced or not bounced (fx on inserts, fx on busses, fx on master busses, track, bus or master automation).......it lets you choose how deep you want to bounce and then it does it in one step.......or you can do a simple "apply audio fx" and be done with it.

i think the point many people are making here is that there is software out there that is doing somethings better than ProTools is, and in the case of Software, no one will get mad at Digi for jumping on the band-wagon. I remember people in Cakewalk forums years ago clammiring for Non-Destrcutive "Slip-type" editing and thinking to myself, "why would i need that?"...........because I had never had it before....but once I got it, I would never go back to the old way.

There are people coming from other software who want ProTools to keep doing what it already does well, but just add features which become indispensable once you become accustomed to using them.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah -but then if you need to edit the arrangement, or mix, you have to go back to the old session, and redo the edits there as well, then bounce again, and then import into the new session again.

Or make your temp dub import it back into the SAME session after disabling all the other tracks. Remember the limitation is on ACTIVE tracks, not tracks. If you need to edit the arangment you can still move everything around without reactivating the tracks. Still need to reactivate the tracks for other edits but at least there still in front of you.

An older engineer told me the other day the upside to working before unlimited track counts was it forced you to live with all the decisions that you made along the way as you did submixes to free up tracks. As a result it forced you to make better decisions beacuse you couldn't just say, [bleep] it I can always go back to it like it never happened. Just beacuse technology makes are work easier doesn't mean it makes are work better.