Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2004, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Have I been off by 164 samples all along?

Slightly better using digital I/O, but still not correct. Using the simple test of transferring a click from one track to another, the result *should* be accurate to within 1 sample, maybe two. Using digital, the second track travels back in time. Not much, but enough to suggest they're doing *something* here, just not doing it correctly.
Quote:
Hi Teleplayer,

I agree with you that the bug should be fixed or at least addressed i some manner. At least with Logic you can go to the Audio Hardware preference and set a record delay to compensate.

I'm not surprised you got a better result with the digital i/o, I seem to recall someone doing a whole bunch of tests (it could have been on osxaudio.com) and all the interfaces tested showed similar results.

Old 01-18-2004, 12:54 PM

Hey "pal" you know what?...do whatever you want, move your tracks around and keep going on and on about it here...

Oh by the way...I was speaking of my own tape machine that I bought from working my ass off doing this for a living...so thanks for the insults...It just goes to show your level of maturity...nice ninjasite too...

I could care less what you think.

to be honest I also don't even really care whats going on with the mbox...I don't use one and have no need for it...I have heard great results out of all of the digi products including the mbox...I have also heard complete crap. what I do care about is understanding how to get the best results out of my gear.There are limitations and quirks with every piece of audio gear in a studio...one could go on and on about the noise floor or slew rate properties of any given piece of analog gear and why they should be better,.. at the end of the day you've got to get the work done...the fact is you have to get good results and work with what you have.....if you aren't satisfied with it, ditch it and go buy something else that works for you...

I agree it would be great if this was fixed...I am sure they know about it...I am sure they are working on it...

keep complaining about it...I'm sure it will speed up the process...In the meantime, I've got to work.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:19 PM

Personally I wouldn't want automatic "converter latency compensation". It would be nice to have a place to enter in an offset that applies to every recorded take, like you can do with MIDI offsets. For the 001, you'd enter 51, MBox... 164, etc.

The problem with automatic compensation, where the user has no control, is this: What happens when you want to use external converters? The value will need to change. Same thing when you send a signal digitally to outboard FX.

The values will not always be the same, and it would tick me off if I had to start doing evem more math to figure out offsets.

Say you buy an outboard A/D D/A box and you hook it up digitally to your Digidesign interface. You measure the "converter latency", and you get 98 samples. And say the MBox compensated 164 samples automatically. So what, now you have to nudge all recorded tracks forward by 66 samples?

So again, I think a user-defineable preference, just like MIDI offset, would be nice... and some thorough education from Digi, with a chart of their various converter latencies in the Getting Started Guide.

Old 01-18-2004, 02:28 PM

Quote:

What is at issue here is the fact that the Mbox, specifically when used with a mac, requires immediate post-record user-performed track shifting in order to maintain sync with all other tracks. Windows Mbox doesn't require this and as far as I know, 001/002/002r don't require this on any platform.

I haven't been reading the DUC that much lately, so maybe I've missed something about the MBox issue. It sounds like you're talking about some other oddity going on here, above and beyond typical converter and interface delay. If so, pardon my last post for "spewing basics".
Old 01-18-2004, 02:45 PM

I just read that Answerbase doc. Don't know what you mean, Chris. (The 001 at least) has this same issue, it's just that the value is only 51 samples (when using analog I/O). Seems that any converter will have this. The MBox's value is especially high, so it may be more of a problem. Probably due to the USB interface as well, as you already mentioned.

Someone said that Logic w/001 gave them the same results, so we are definitley tralking about hardware latency (whether it's all due to converters, the interface, etc... who knows?)

If the Windows version of PT for the MBox is automatically compensating 164 samples, then IT is the oddball, because as far as I know, the other boxes aren't doing this.

I could get a cumulative buildup of latency with the 001 also, if I keep monitoring the very last track I recorded while overdubbing. Since drums usually go down first, it's never too much a problem. If I want, I can shift everything but the drums 51 samples. A preference to do this would be nice... someone said Logic can do this.

Again, pardon me if I've missed something here, and feel free to correct me. Hope you're doing great and enjoying all that new gear.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:26 PM

I find it funny that most users do not know this...Some searches on the subject. a few older ones from ccash, and even Digi chimed in for one. You can see by a simple search this has been beaten to death.

here

and here

and here too

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason