Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2002, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Mic Preamps....PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Quote:
And all I can say is that you can get an amazing pre today for cheap but, to argue the diferent merits of this discount stuff is a waste of time. they all sound the same once you put them up against the likes of a real pre.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'd have to disagree with that. Sure, the more-expensive stuff sounds better than the less-expensive in almost every case, but that doesn't mean that the less-expensive stuff all sounds the same and isn't worth comparing (by that same argument, one could state that since it all sounds so much better when you spend the real money why bother comparing?). I've been lucky enough to work with some of the best stuff out there, but so far not lucky enough to own much of it...right now I have what I imagine is a fairly typical assortment of low- to mid-priced preamps from Mackie, PreSonus, Focusrite, M-Audio, and ART (along with the preamps in my MOTU 828) and while I certainly plan on purchasing better stuff in the future (my next will most likely either be a Vintech 1272 or a UA 2108, although if I get a chance to hear the RNP before then I may change my mind on that) I can assure you that the various preamps I have sound very different, and I do have my favorites I use in various situations.

-Duardo
Old 11-07-2002, 03:24 PM

I was also uncertain about which pre to get for m system, so I decided to get 3D PRE AUDIO from sweetwater, I made up my mind...
Old 11-07-2002, 05:38 PM

i think the point luv is (or should be) tryin' to make isn't that the budget stuff sounds the same from one piece to the next, rather that though the elephant may indeed drop a bigger load than the turtle, in the end, they're still both feces.

ml
Old 11-07-2002, 06:06 PM

Yaicks!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Go write a song or something. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2002, 07:42 PM

Hey Duardo,

Tell us how the TAMPA harmonic "adjustments" sound.

They say that that valve preamps "warm up" the mids but TAMPA does the "Valve thing" to the whole spectrum.

Is this the case and is it audible.

Do your ears like it or is it just a label on another preamp box?

I look forward to your reply.

Mark
Old 11-08-2002, 09:24 AM

I hear that the new Summit Audio half-rack mic pre's and compressors are awesome and about $500.

The engineer I mostly work with uses Vintech recreations of the Neve pre-amps which are about $1200 and are phenomenal.

Do a google search for Vintech.

but on a budget, i'd go for the summit audio stuff 'cause their top end stuff is great and it's essentially the same stuff but scaled down to try and make some more $$.

t.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:30 PM

Thought I might chime in here and give an opinion.

I am using an Amek 9098 DMA into an Apogee Rosetta into Digi 001 via SPDIF and it sounds amazing.

Smooth....open highs. Detail for days. No noise to speak of.

Really and exceptional pre / AD combo.

As with anything audio....YMMV depending on the source.....but I have no problems recommending this setup to anyone who wants an outstanding front end.

Best of luck