Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2022, 12:04 PM

Default Re: HDX Driver No Longer Shows after 2021.10 Install

Update: I tested my 2021 MBP M1 Pro with my HDX system and it seems to work perfectly! Note that I did NOT do the Security mod that the driver installation requested. HDX cards and all my IO recognized and seem to work as expected. This laptop has also had zero issues with UAD interfaces since I have bought it.

2022 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, however, does not work at all (for me at least) with the HDX cards, or UAD.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsaudio View Post
Update: I tested my 2021 MBP M1 Pro with my HDX system and it seems to work perfectly! Note that I did NOT do the Security mod that the driver installation requested. HDX cards and all my IO recognized and seem to work as expected. This laptop has also had zero issues with UAD interfaces since I have bought it.

2022 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, however, does not work at all (for me at least) with the HDX cards, or UAD.
Although it seems that you've answered your own question about TB3 connections, I thought I would also say that I have a Sonnet with 2 HDX cards and a UAD Octo card in it connected to my hackintosh's TB3 port via a TB2 dongle. This has been working fine for me for a couple years.

I'm guessing that you have done this, but have you tried uninstalling Pro Tools, the HD Driver, and the UAD software and then just reinstalling Pro Tools and the HD Driver? Leaving UAD out of the equation?
Old 03-29-2022, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivestudios View Post
Although it seems that you've answered your own question about TB3 connections, I thought I would also say that I have a Sonnet with 2 HDX cards and a UAD Octo card in it connected to my hackintosh's TB3 port via a TB2 dongle. This has been working fine for me for a couple years.

I'm guessing that you have done this, but have you tried uninstalling Pro Tools, the HD Driver, and the UAD software and then just reinstalling Pro Tools and the HD Driver? Leaving UAD out of the equation?
So this issue is strictly with the new Mac Studio. I brought my experience to this thread because it seems the Mac Studio specifically does not like the HDX driver. (Native works). However the 2021MBP M1 Pro works fine with HDX. I did reinstall PT and HDX driver several times on the Mac Studio with no luck.

I was hoping someone else with a Mac Studio had different luck with HDX. I realize this computer is brand new and unsupported. With Monterey support announced, I was hopefully. But my 2013 Trash Can still works great. I've shared info with Avid TS, so maybe they'll have an update in the coming weeks.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 03-30-2022, 07:03 PM

Wanted to give an update…I use UA gear as well and with their update today, once installed, my HDX system works perfect on Mac Studio. HDX is simply connected via the Apple TB4 adapters and I’m using an (old) Echo Express IIID TB2. Wanted to share that in case it can help anyone else.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Wanted to give an update…I use UA gear as well and with their update today, once installed, my HDX system works perfect on Mac Studio. HDX is simply connected via the Apple TB4 adapters and I’m using an (old) Echo Express IIID TB2. Wanted to share that in case it can help anyone else.
Oh nice! And have you tried the native versions of the plugins that came out today as well?
Old 03-31-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
That is very good news! UAD + HDX drivers problem is solved by UAD 10? Hope so.

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 04-01-2022, 05:51 AM

Beware! The new UAD 10 install for use with UA Connect also killed my HDX card. I actually forgot that the UAD install had previously disabled HDX and in my enthusiasm for the new UADx native plugins, just went ahead and installed it. I am in the process of trying to recover my HDX card right now ...

Honestly, I can't believe that I'm having to do this again! How can UAD release an installer that kills other hardware? That was a previously known problem! Really pissed off at UAD for not having fixed this MAJOR, HUGE problem.
UAD Octo PCIe, UAD Octo Thunderbolt 3 Satellite

www.adrian-hall.com
Old 04-01-2022, 07:40 AM

OK, so the "sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext" line input into the Terminal fixes the problem temporarily, allowing the HDX card to show up in the Playback Engine list. We'll find out whether or not it stays that way after restarting ProTools.

In the meantime, somebody else pointed me to this link, which contains the link to download the "Avid HD Driver Loader", a utility that you can set to auto-launch on Startup. Why this isn't a more widely-advertised link, I don't know. Surely this should be a "sticky", somewhere?

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...xoWV2j-y6CE_tI

www.adrian-hall.com

Last edited by aidyhall; 04-01-2022 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-01-2022, 03:05 PM

same exact issue for me BIG SUR 11.6 MacPro Trashcan Intel - did you figure a fix?
like you, i have to use TERMINAL "sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext" after each restart in order to get HDX to show up as a playback engine choice. i've been successfully using HD driver 2021.10 for the last 3 months as 2021.12 killed my HDX so with much computer wrestling i went back. but i just installed UAD v10 and all hell broke loose. unreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidyhall View Post
OK, so the "sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext" line input into the Terminal fixes the problem temporarily, allowing the HDX card to show up in the Playback Engine list. We'll find out whether or not it stays that way after restarting ProTools.

In the meantime, somebody else pointed me to this link, which contains the link to download the "Avid HD Driver Loader", a utility that you can set to auto-launch on Startup. Why this isn't a more widely-advertised link, I don't know. Surely this should be a "sticky", somewhere?

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...xoWV2j-y6CE_tI
Old 04-02-2022, 07:35 AM

The Avid HD Driver Loader seems like it just automates the Terminal command line, and you can set it to launch on start-up, as described in the previous link that I posted, so at least it makes it easy to launch HDX after each restart. It's working for me, at any rate, using the 2021.12 HD Driver, running PT 2021.12 Ultimate, on Big Sur 11.6.2.

www.adrian-hall.com