Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2021, 08:49 PM

Default Re: HDX Driver No Longer Shows after 2021.10 Install

Well, after losing 20+ hours last time I updated to the 2021.10 Driver trying to get it to work again, I have absolutely no motivation to try their 2021.12 driver. If it broke things again, I would be so frustrated.

It was so difficult to fix and I do feel that somewhere between all the HDX updates, my card now has errors as it doesn't completely pass the Digitest. The only way I know to fix it is to send it in and pay to get it repaired (which I can not afford the downtime, nor the cost of a new card). I purchased an old Mac Pro specifically to try to fix the issue (pressing the reset button while on and then restarting). I tried resetting it several times and restarting the computer and opening Pro Tools and it never tried to update the firmware.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 12-15-2021, 07:28 PM

I have no information that will help with problems. But, my 12 Core 2012 Mac Pro running Mojave 10.16.6 and Pro Tools 2021.12 is working fine with the HDX drivers. I have two 192s.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 12-19-2021, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Well, after losing 20+ hours last time I updated to the 2021.10 Driver trying to get it to work again, I have absolutely no motivation to try their 2021.12 driver. If it broke things again, I would be so frustrated.

It was so difficult to fix and I do feel that somewhere between all the HDX updates, my card now has errors as it doesn't completely pass the Digitest. The only way I know to fix it is to send it in and pay to get it repaired (which I can not afford the downtime, nor the cost of a new card). I purchased an old Mac Pro specifically to try to fix the issue (pressing the reset button while on and then restarting). I tried resetting it several times and restarting the computer and opening Pro Tools and it never tried to update the firmware.
same here at least 20h of trying to do whatever is in this thread but no success and still no HD native..
Old 12-31-2021, 06:03 AM

Warning! UAD update will break your PT HDX .....Just updated new to Uad software and they updated the firmware in my uad pics cards with this install. Totally broke my HDX drivers. I had just finished a really stable install with Dante / matrix / Eucon/ sigma with IP midi/ vlans/ wireless Vlan for iPad PT control.

Uad has been the most stable thing in my life for 12 years I guess they are do for a screw up but wow this is a PITA
Old 12-31-2021, 06:30 AM

Which UAD version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 12-31-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arichlsss View Post
Warning! UAD update will break your PT HDX .....Just updated new to Uad software and they updated the firmware in my uad pics cards with this install. Totally broke my HDX drivers. I had just finished a really stable install with Dante / matrix / Eucon/ sigma with IP midi/ vlans/ wireless Vlan for iPad PT control.

Uad has been the most stable thing in my life for 12 years I guess they are do for a screw up but wow this is a PITA
Thats the reason I'm leaving UAD, most of the plugins have been replaced by 'plugin alliance' & 'softube' versions. PITA to pay twice for the same algorithm. But i'm done with uad, these installers was not my main problem, but the unusability of the plugins while recording and streaming at the same time made me think twice. Why pay premium for plugins which are unusable by latency? So my LA2A and 660/670 and Lexicon variants are the only ones left now... everything else is replaced.
After the installers in september which broke macos loading every .kext in the directory /Library/Extensions, I used terminal for about 2 months with "sudo touch /Library/Extensions" which brought everything back in place.
After installing all HD installer from 2021 I got it working again. But man o man its a real pita.
Hope you will get it working again.

MTRX v.2.4.2.2 + dante card + madi baseunit + optical SFP 1300nm
MTRX-II v.1.0.5.2 + TB3 + 1x AD mic 8ch + 1x DA 8ch
+ madi baseunit + optical SFP 1300nm
MOM v.1.0.1.4 by DAD

Genelec 1237A Sam, Avantone active mixcubes
LA2a (1968), 1073 pre/eq, Neve RNHP, Wacom Intuos Pro
Furman P1400 AR E Power conditioner

Live-rack:
1x HD Native TB, 4x 192 I/O (64ch AD)
8x Yamaha HA-8 micpre, Rosendahl mif4,
Genelec 1031A, Presonus Monitor Station
Old 02-12-2022, 10:10 AM

Update… several uninstalled drivers and reinstalls later everything worked as expected. I just had to hit the Wup with waves as some of my older plug-ins quick working in a new Logic Pro update and after all the new waves plug-ins reinstalled it jacked up my HDX driver again… maybe something to do with soundgrid. The fix for me was similar to my uad fix … reinstall protools. Uninstall had x drivers and reinstall HDX drivers.

All good now… just wanted to document this for anyone else pullling their hair out.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I think I solved it!!!!

This is what I did to get it all working again. It had nothing to do with having to reset firmware on my HDX card.

So I had both 2021.7 and 2021.10 installed on my computer (which is totally fine to do). So I followed this order to get the HDX card to show up on bootup. I used both installers.

This is probably not the only solution. But this is what fixed it for me. The whole time I constantly checked "Security and Privacy Settings to make sure "Avid Technology Inc - Updated" would show and be accepted if needed.

1. I opened the 2021.7 installer and went to the driver folder and ran the uninstall script there. - Restarted computer-

2. I went to the applications folder and trashed both, my Pro Tools 2021.10 and 2021.7.

3. I ran the 2021.7 Driver installer inside the "Pro_Tools_2021.7.0_Mac.dmg" - Restart

4. I installed Pro Tools 2021.7. - Restart - At this point, the driver was showing up again in my system after rebooting.

(likely not necessary, but at this point, I ran a DigiTest to see the results, I still had the same fails as I had prior)

5. I installed the Pro Tools 2021.10 Driver in the "Pro_Tools_2021.10.0_Mac.dmg" installer. IMPORTANT - Don't install "HD_Driver_2021.10.0_Mac.dmg" I believe this installer is bad and what caused the problem to begin with. -Restart-

6. I installed Pro Tools 2021.10 - (Note: It locked up the computer completely on my first install for whatever reason and I had to force shut down my computer by holding down the power button. But after it booted up and I installed again, everything went perfectly) - Restart -

At this point I finally opened Pro Tools 2021.10 and the HDX card showed up just fine. The driver now loads on start up and everything seems to be functioning great minus the bugs people have already mentioned in other threads.

May make sense. Because If I am remembering correctly (back when I was running PTHD Native ,from 2011 to 2020) Avid used to recommend to always install the new version HD driver first,,,, then install the new PT version....?????

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 03-27-2022, 12:16 AM

I had a failing system drive in my hackintosh so I thought I would replace it with a new drive and an upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur 11.6.1 and Protools 2021.12

I spent a few hours installing plugins, and everything was going well. Of course the last set of plugins I decided to install was the most recent version of of the UAD software, v.9151

And then poof, both my HDX cards vanished from my system. I thought I was going to have an aneurysm. I really did think the cards might be totally dead but when I moved them into my backup computer, they showed up just fine.

Then I found this thread.

Uninstalling UAD, ProTools and the HDX Driver and reinstalling them seems to have fixed the problem. Fingers crossed so far.

Really infuriating though. I blame UAD for this one, but it's possible that Avid is at fault. Of course noone is going to admit that this is happening at all.

The only graphics issue I've seen in Big Sur is when you change the size of a track things get a little messy for a brief moment. Hopefully they fix that one in the new version.

Otherwise, I could be wrong, but I feel that CPU usage is a little bit better now... and I'm so glad that my Lexicon PCM Reverbs have their presets in the right order again with the latest version of that plugin.

Also worth a mention that Optimize Performance at Low Buffer Sizes clearly makes my system run worse when it's turned on... things get all sluggish and awful with CPU intensive sessions. Turn that nonsense off.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:44 PM

So not a lot of response since PT 2021.12 came out. Did it fix anybody's system? I see some posts about reinstalling...that hasn't worked for me. But here's what I discovered tonight...
(Mac Studio Ultra M1 macOS 12.3 and PT 2021.12 2 card HDX system)

Just got Mac Studio, and after loading everything and booting PT first time, it fired right up but with my Grace as Playback. I have UAD (latest firmware 9.15.1) as well and Console would start when clicked).

Reinstalled HD Driver and did the Security mod in the message that came up (for PT and UAD). That's when it all went to h*ll. PT would instantly crash. Uninstalled/Trashed prefs/reinstalled. Instant crash.

UAD Console - crash. Decided to go back into recovery mode and reverse security mod. After a restart, PT and UAD both worked as they had previously.

So it seems something in the security mod is creating a major issue. Now, in my system, all of the UAD (satellite) and HDX cards (Sonnet) are connected via TB2 using the Apple adapters.

Has anyone got the HDX cards (or UAD) working with a genuine TB3 connection? I wonder if TB2 is playing a role in this?

Did anyone figure anything out for the HDX cards aside from reinstalling multiple times?

Forgot to mention with regard to UAD, been using my 8P and Twin TB2 via Apple adapters on 2021 MBP M1 Pro and that has been working perfect so maybe it's not a TB2 issue.

Last edited by dmsaudio; 03-27-2022 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Added to my comment