Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2002, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Please take a moment to stop and think?

At least you guys were tortured by the whole album . My brother, who was in bands starting in, like, fourth grade...I can remember he'd take a liking to a song and play that same song over and over again. Quite literally often as many as 40 or 50 times per day sometimes for months. I probably heard, "Stepping Stone" by the Monkees --and I'm serious about this estimate-- somewhere in the order of ten to fifteen thousand times before the end of the 1960s.

Even good music can be played to death. As his tastes matured, it got to be groups like Spirit and Yes and Herbie Hancock. Some of it he didn't ruin for me, but some admittedly graet music, like John Barleycorn Must Die by Traffic -- I still can't listen to and enjoy.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:41 PM

I'm an "ok" talent trying to write some tunes at home for ***** and giggles. I don't aspire to be a "pro level" musician, nor do I think that is a realistic goal (although I do think I'm talented enough...but how do you measure that?). Anyway, the only reason I went w/ Pro Tools is for the ease of use. I got sick of using my Mackie/Adat combo... and needed just a little more from it. For the money, you can't beat the upgrade. But just because I have "Pro Tools" doesn't mean my songs sound any better... and it damn sure doesn't make me any better of a musician. I haven't had it long enough to even scratch the surface of it's "features". Hell, I may never even NEED those features. So I guess my point is that I went the PT route for it's ease of use, and features. It sure beats the hell out of my old rig. Now if I could only find the time to record my first song with all this new gear. lol!

http://jasonsheroan.tripod.com/index.html

Jason
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan
Old 06-10-2002, 03:43 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

In response to the last page (about art...), if you look close enough, you should be able to see the art in everything from architecture, to furniture making, to brewing, and on and on...
Anything made by hand, w/ love...anything mass produced for commercial purposes excluded, of course.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2002, 01:03 PM

When I studied jazz guitar at North Texas State back in the 1970s-80s we used to have a saying, "there will never be too many good guitarists - just too many bad ones."

The same principle applies to all facets of music - recording, playing, etc.

Peace.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:19 PM

Greetings-
If you are reading this reply, having sat in-front of your computer reading this thread ( WHICH IS RIGHT _ON!) then, PLEEZE_ STAND-UP, WALK OUT-SIDE WHERE IT'S SCATTERED LIGHT OR DARK, AND TAKE AH' BREATH OF WHERE MUSIC COMES FROM- LIVING LIFE!
Having had the honor of taking Joe Zawinul to wherew JFK was assasinated in Dallas while he and Jaco were playing with WEATHER REPORT the next night, I will share what I learned- JZ " Randy, this is where the MUSIC comes from- (as he walked to the spots of the shots) - from our life.(Pointing to the sky, then thru his HEART) -=IT comes from there, and , hopfully, goes thru here!
Make MUSIC, then make it sound as good as possible. PT's helps, but it does'nt write melody!
OOPS- I gotta' take ah break!
Old 06-12-2002, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
BigCats,
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> I had a roommate who tortured me every stinking afternoon with "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway".
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Now THAT, I can relate to. My 'God I'm sick of that' album would have to be Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell. My sister used to drive me nuts with it. We were still teenagers at high school and she would play it constantly. In the morning, in the shower, in the evening, when I was trying to study, whenever... and when the tape finished, she'd rewind it and play it again, volume on 11. I don't know what the tape formulation was but it was annoyingly robust. That tape alone would have made a significant contribution to head wear. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I'm sure if it was possible to unravel the layers of oxide on a dirty pinch roller, you'd have a clone of that album from her cassette deck.
I still cringe whenever I hear 'Paradise by the Dashboard Light' or 'Two out of Three Ain't Bad'.
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm just so grateful no one ever ruined 'wired for sound' for me..
Old 06-12-2002, 09:17 AM

When people started recording on 2" tape, could you "hear" that too?

I hate to break it to you guys, but the reason everything you hear on pop radio sounds the same has NOTHING TO DO with ProTools.

It has EVERYTHING to do with record company execs that think they can smell a fast buck from a mile away. The record companies are the reason you can't tell the difference between Puddle of Mudd, Nickelback, Staind, Creed, etc.

It happens again every few years. Remember grunge? 80s hair metal? Zeppelin clones? I rest my case.

The songs I record with ProTools don't sound like the crap on the radio. But then again, I'm not famous.

Any time I start to doubt that ProTools is the bomb, I listen to a Lenny Kravitz album. That guy's stuff sounds great, and it's ProTools-ized.

--chiba