Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2001, 04:06 AM

Default Re: how long can the digi 001 cable be?

Park,

This is all very interesting but the specs you quote are not complete.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Input Impedance
10 kohms Source or load impedance?

Maximum Output Level
+28dBu

Output Impedance
<50 ohms see above

Distortion
0.01% THD @ 1kHz, ref +8dBu output

Noise
-100dB, unity gain, ref +8dB outputA,B or C weighted or unweighted?

Frequency Response
20Hz to 20kHz +/- 0.1dB (600 ohm load, ref 1kHz)

Gain Range
Balanced out -15dBu to +15dBu, ref -15dBu into unbalanced input
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTW - We could go on all day discussing transistor Beta, biasing and non-linear transfer curves adding distortion etc. but I don't think others really want or need a crash course in electronics engineering.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>With modern audio circuits, matching impedance can actually degrade audio performance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm glad you agree with my initial comment [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Love and kisses,
Old 09-24-2001, 07:52 AM

I got those specs from the manufacturer's web sites. If you require more exact information, please contact them. However, you may assume that the output is source and the input is load.

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
With modern audio circuits, matching impedance can actually degrade audio performance.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm glad you agree with my initial comment

Actually, that was not your initial comment. Your comment was just the opposite where you suggested it was better to match impedances. While high source and low load doesn't work well, it is unlikely that most users will find them in that suituation since most equipment today is low source, high load.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 09-30-2001, 07:56 PM

Park,

Actually, I never suggested that it was better to match impedances.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> 2. Higher source impedance**. Load capability typically 10K ohms for -10dB unbalanced vs 600 ohms for +4dB balanced (not sure of 001 impedance specs - Digi tech suppt?),
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This comment was not intended to suggest that it is better to match (ie, 600 ohms to 600 ohms) impedances on equipment designed for bridging. It simply states that almost all balanced outputs are capable of driving a 600 ohm load.
The 001's source impedance of 20 ohms is a perfect example. In fact, applying the 10x (loosely adopted) rule, the 001 would be capable of driving a 200 ohm load.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> While high source and low load doesn't work well, it is unlikely that most users will find them in that suituation since most equipment today is low source, high load.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This may be true in a lot of cases but not all. Particularly in home studios using a mix of hi-fi and pro gear.
To quote from the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook (p95) which I strongly recommend,
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>A piece of consumer sound equipment may operate at considerably lower nominal (avarage) line levels than +4 dBu. This is typically around -16 dBu (123mV) to -10 dBu (245 mV) into 10,000 ohm or higher impedance loads. Peak output levels in such equipment may not go above +4 dBu (1.23V). The output current available here would be inadequate to drive a 600 ohm terminated circuit, and even if the professional equipment has a higher impedance input, the output voltage of the hi-fi equipment may still be inadequate. The typical result is too-low levels into the professional equipment, and too-high distortion in the overloaded hi-fi output. This can damage loudspeakers (due to the high frequency energy content of the clipped waveform), and it can damage the hi-fi equipment (due to overloading of its output circuitry). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-09-2002, 05:14 PM

>> >>...the connector on the Digi001 I/O cable is a rare SCSI-2 connector known as a "micro-centronics 50" (sometimes called a "mini-centronics" or a "HPCN50"). For $47.50, they (CS Electronics) made me a 10-foot replacement cable, which I had in my hands within 48 hours!! Great quality, too.

... no ill effects or timing errors...it paid off -- no thanks to DigiDesign.

Contact CS Electronics at (949) 475-9100, or http://www.cselex.com or [email protected].<< <<

After searching "cable extension" and finding 258 posts (and reading about 120 of 'em), I stumbled upon the previously quoted post. I called Carol at CS Electronics. She has been FLOORED at the hundred or so digi users who haved purchased their extension cable for the OO1 after JUST ONE GUY decided to TRY one of their cables. She was incredibly friendly and helpful and claims customers have been very satisfied with their purchase.

I bought mine today. Happy happy Joy Joy!

Just a little info to brighten your day.
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2002, 06:40 PM

Question was: How long can the Digi 001 cable be?

Answer: Doesn't seem to be one. However...

CS Electronics, a supplier of custom cables in Irvine, CA. For $47.50, they make a 10-foot replacement cable. If you order, talk to Ken Miller (949) 475-9100.

I just recieved a 12' for $49.50 It seems to work fine. CPU is now in another room. No more noise so I can record in the control room.

B&W G3/400 384mg ram Adaptec scsi card 2940UW >Lacie. 2nd Internal ATA> Deskstar.