Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2003, 12:21 AM

Default Re: ok, what\'s going on w/ exploding sound?!

What about Stuttering playback? (Loud short choppy buzzing sound).

Anyone get this with Waves as well? I'm suspecting a clock issue since I'm clocked externally via a Motu Digital Timepiece. I'll try to narrow it down a bit by trying to reproduce it with no Waves plug-ins installed at all and using the internal PTLE clock.

Usually just hitting the space bar again, stop-start, rectifies this;

It happens a lot though and normally when RTAS waves plug-ins are cycling out, i.e. (reverb tails & delays) while/during hitting the space bar to
repeat-audition a short section.

dk

--------------------------
MDD-1.25 FW800 / 512MB ram
OS10.2.3
PTLE 6 - DIGI 001
Waves NPP - ver. 4
Stock internal 80GB HD
OWC Firewire Elite Pro (Oxford 911) 7200rpm 100GB HD (4 partitions)
Old 03-09-2003, 05:08 AM

I have had FS noise on many occasions. Currently I have Waves 3.6 but have had this problem with only Digirack plugs running in a session. I mentioned the fault to a friend of mine who has a TDM setup (no Waves either) and he has never had such a fault so maybe it is either Waves or so core difference between TDM and Native PT. For the record I have an ATA 7200 Segate 80 Gb and a 20Gb Firewire 7200 for audio.

Normally I can fix the fault by forcing DAE to reload (See Playback Engine). Also I seem to remember that automation may have been involved in some cases.

"Never change the minimum memory size. If you have, you can set it back to the default setting by typing a 0 into the field and press Enter on the numerical keypad."

I tried this but it only defaults to the previously saved size and not the original. If this is important (my guess is it isn't) then maybe TS could post the correct default sizes?

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 03-10-2003, 10:11 AM
Avid

Thanks Unseen.

I will forward this info to Waves as well.

As for a few of the other situations mentioned in recent replies, they may be completely different issues.

Thanks,

Chris Hanson
Digidesign 3P Developer Services
Old 03-10-2003, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by unseen:
I'd like to join the bandwagon on this issue. Quick question. What is the "Waves Fix" that has remedied the explosion problem for most? I did a search but could not find it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think the "fix" you're reading about is from a long time ago, with PT5 and Waves 2... At that time, there were a number of people complaining about a large random exploding sound coming from PT and as a result Waves released a "fix" - version 2.9.2b2. This alleviated the exploding sound for most of us using Waves plugins (some people experienced the violent explosions without waves stuff, I don't know what happened with that though) . Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with PT6 and Waves 4.

Here's to progress...
Old 03-10-2003, 03:33 PM

Thanks Chris. Looking now at the thread I see that it was started three years ago. This might be a DUC record for longest running post. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

To answer a previous post, yes, I also get stuttering sound as well as the exploding sounds with the Waves plugs.

I spoke with Waves tech support and they asked me to send my system profile and a description of the problem to [email protected]. Anyone else having these problems might want to do the same.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:41 PM

My sysems are 800Mhz 512MB ram with Digi SCSI64 cards ext Glyh HD. PT LE 5.1.1 PT has 60MB memory and DAE has 50MB Waves 3.6 OS 9.2. The explosive sound is actually double the normal sound level and normally happens when makeing an edit with automation. Also happens sometimes when bouncing files. We have this problem only with 001's and the ADAT interface. No problems with systems using analog in's & out's Currently using the low latency monitoring without any difference. Problem occurs with Digi plugins as well. System synced to optical input. The only common denominator that I can see is the digital interface. Already tried a new ADAT card without any luck.

HELP

Quote:
Originally posted by keitho:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by DigiCS:
Given the current amount of evidence available, it appears that the Waves fix has dealt with the primary "explosive sound" that many users had documented.

There have been a handfull of additional reports that did not appear to involve waves plugins. However "explosive sound" is admittedly subjective, and I have read varying comments about noise and about clicks and pops and other types of things that currently do not appear to be software bugs and have been unreproducable.

If you are currently experiencing repetitive explosive or distorted full code digital hash NOT associated with Waves plugins please document your system and setup here with any information you might have to reproduce this behavior and we will do our best to reproduce it, document it and find a solution.

Bob Langlie
Digidesign Customer Support
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 03-12-2003, 10:07 AM
Avid

Waves has reported to me that they have reproduced the problem with both RenVox and C4. They are currently investigating the problem and are working on a fix.

I will keep you up to date as we find out more.

Chris Hanson
Digidesign 3P Developer Services