Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2010, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Still need to toggle Bluetooth to launch PT

Zooce !
The issue of installing from the disk with PT 8.0 onto Mac OS 10.6.2, that accepts only 8.0.3 has been a nightmare to almost all of us - PT LE users upgrading our systems.
Either you are lucky, or not, with the update. End of the story.
With the war between Digi and Apple, it is a pure matter of luck if your system is gonna work fine or not at all.
In one of my earlier posts I described step-by-step how to install PT 8.0 from disk on Snow Leopard computers, and upgrade it to 8.0.3.
As I said : good luck.
Tonight I had a recording session on-the-go. My MBox 2 mini didn't work with MacBookPro at all ( still 7.3.1 on Mac OS 10.4.11).
Thank goodness I had an original MBox with me ! Good ole box... It worked perfectly well. Saved the session, and the relationship with the client.
The same MBox 2 mini works fine with my i7 on USB out next to the FW800 outlet.
If I plug it into USB port next to the headphones, it crashes the system.
There you go...
Good luck Zooce with Pro Tools LE. Pretty soon none of us will be able to run it successfully on Mac computers anymore.
Chris7514
Old 03-23-2010, 07:18 PM

OMG!

I'm actually up and running! Thanks Chris7514 and Obsidian Dragon for the help/replies.

I haven't tried to use any other programs after booting PT, and don't plan on doing so either. Its rediculous that I spent $2200 on my iMac and can't use certain USB ports (thanks Steve Jobs) but I'm running PT so whatever...

Here's a quick walkthrough of what I did for anyone who wants to try...

-Clean reinstall of Mac OS X (snow leopard) with additional software (garageband, etc), and updated software (did it twice and all together got 12 or 13 updates). **Also turned off Airport, Software Updates, Energy Saver, and Spotlight hotkeys** (bluetooth is still on since i only have the stupid new keyboard with no keypad, and pointless new magic mouse, why can't Apple just keep the two click mouse like Microsoft? even at the DAW lab and studios at school we still use Microsoft mice!)

-Installed PT 8 straight from disc. **I had the 8.0.3 updater on a portable external HD so I copied it to my documents folder earlier** Launched and installed the updater, and shut down.

-Hooked up Glyph via FW, and Mbox 2 via USB next to FW port, turned on Glyph, then turned on iMac. Booted PT8 and all was well!! **Note that I had reformated/erased both of my externals with Disk Utility, both OS Extended (Journaled)**

-Quit PT8, ejected Glyph drive, and shutdown.

-Hooked up another external (LaCie Rugged) via USB next to port that Mbox 2 is hooked up to. Started the iMac, transfered PT sessions and other audio and video files to Glyph drive, ejected LaCie, and booted up a session from the Glyph drive and it worked!!!

**So far I have done everything from booting up my computer to shutting it down in precise steps and haven't had any problems yet so I will continue to do so. These steps include: turning on my Glyph HD before turning on the iMac, not using any other programs after quitting PT8, ejecting all external drives before shutting down, and making all external connections while iMac is shutdown.**

Also I haven't spent much time in PT8 on my setup yet since it has taken me so long to get it up and running and I am tired of sitting at that desk, but this week I'm going to have a lot of work to catch up on so I'll see what happens when I push PT and my computer to its limits (if I get that far).

That was a lot of stuff but maybe it will help someone with my exact setup or close to it. I'm about to hook up my external monitor as well so wish me luck on that!

Thanks again for the help guys. DUC is probably the most valuble thing Digi has come up with!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:57 PM

Zooce !
I'm glad to hear that you got it running.
As far as for Steve Jobs and the rest of the Apple crowd, I can predict that cheaper, cheaper and cheaper will be the way to go for the future. I mean : not necessarily cheaper in the store price, but cheaper in manufacturing ( China, Indonesia, Bangladesh, the Hell itp.) One day they will perhaps find people on the Moon, and ship all jobs "over from the Earth". So far "overseas" has been the trend.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:56 PM

Agreed! I've been a pretty 'hardcore' Mac fan for the past 5 years, but they're really going down hill. Maybe they should stop focusing on stupid things like the iPad and keyboards without keypads. Apple you're a "computer" company, so start focusing on "computers"!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 03:27 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED! CHECK http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...=268248&page=5
Old 05-19-2010, 05:39 PM

I can confirm that my problem has been solved from the following thread.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=268248
2X - 1T External HD with Mercury Elite Pro Enclosure
MBox 3 Mini
ProTools Express 10.3.3

The Final Lap
http://thefinallap.com