Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2012, 08:00 PM

Thumbs down Mbox 3 problem with abrupt gain increase in both preamps

Hello, I bought a brand new Mbox 3 (the middle model) and Im experimenting some issues. The main issue that Im having right now is with the gain knob of both preamps. When I turn up the gain knob on both channels there is a point close to the end of the dial that the gain increases drastically without control producing ugly sound, a lot of noise and clipping like a freak. I can evite that if I not turn the gain knob to that point but its difficult to do that because in both gain knobs there are not continuity or subtlety. For example, if I feel that I need more gain because the signal is weak and I turn up the gain knob, the point where the incoming signal is enough and the point that the Mbox goes crazy is very near. If I want to record a low volume sound I cant do it very good because I cant reach the max gain for the preamps without getting an intermitent clipping ugly noise (the read clipping light goes on without stop in that point). Sorry for my english, I hope that you understand what Im saying. Someone has similar problems? Im thinking in return the Mbox right now. Thanks for the help-
Old 10-16-2012, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Mbox 3 problem with preamps

What type of microphone are you using dynamic or condenser? If you are using a condenser do you have the phantom power on?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBass View Post
What type of microphone are you using dynamic or condenser? If you are using a condenser do you have the phantom power on?
and do you have the Mic/DI button in the correct position?(I believe that would be NOT lit but try both ways). Any time I find myself cranking the GAIN knob past 2/3rds, I back off and start looking for a problem BTW, more details might help. Is the mic plugged in with a cable that has an XLR connector at both ends?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-20-2012, 11:01 AM

Thumbs down Re: Mbox 3 problem with preamps

Thanks for your help. I discovered that the clipping was produced due to the abrupt increase in gain in both preamps closer to the end of the gain dial range when Im close to my studio workstation. However, I can understand the clipping but the problem that Im experimenting is that there is an abrupt gain increase when Im in the 2/3 area of the gain dial knob. For example, if I want to record my tube amp at moderate volumes I need to turn the gain knob min at 2/3. When I want to fine tuning the gain setting for the preamp there is a point that I get a very abrupt gain increase that translates in clipping like a crazy. But if I turn down the gain dial knob I cant find the right spot. But if I turn it up I found the abrupt zone again and I get clipping without be able to fine tuning my adjustment. Im trying to be as descriptive as I can in english language: The problem consist in that at a certain point of the dial for the gain in both preamps the gain of the signal increases very, very abrupt without a subtle increase. Its like or I have low gain signal or I have a clipping signal, I cant dial in between because the increase of the gain for the signal is just abrupt at a certain point of the gain dial knob. I think I have read about this problem when I was researching about the Mbox but I thought that it was an isolated problem? english is not my native language so I dont know if Im clear about the problem? there is not a inbetween range for both preamps when you are in the 2/3 area of the gain dial knob, the increase in the gain is abrupt and I think is ridiculous, you cant dial with accuracy.

Someone has this problem too? I need to apply warranty? thanks mates.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:14 PM

did you find a solution ? i got the same problem with the knobs
thanks