Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2015, 02:16 AM

Default Newbie questions about audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett Solo)

Ok, so I now have El Capitan and PT12 on my Macbook Pro. Awesome! It all works fine, and all I need now is an audio interface for tracking. After some research I've come the conclution that the Focusrite Scarlett Solo fits both my budget and my needs. A coulple of questions, though:

1. Does the Scarlett Solo work with PT12? (It says on the Focusrite website that it's compatible with El Capitan.)

2. When I have the "Direct monitor" switch activated (to avoid any latency while tracking) do I also hear the audio from my computer (such as previous recorded tracks) in my headphones, mixed with the direct signal, or do I solely hear the direct audio input?

3. If the answer to the previous question is yes (that I hear both the direct input and previous recorded tracks), how do I adjust the volume of the direct signal in relation to the previous recorded tracks? I assume by adjusting the monitor knob, I adjust both signals simultaneously.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by sb_stefan; 12-22-2015 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Newbie questions about audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett Solo)

Quote:
1. Does the Scarlett Solo work with PT12? (It says on the Focusrite website that it's compatible with El Capitan.)
Yes, PT12 will work with any Core Audio interface.

Quote:
2. When I have the "Direct monitor" switch activated (to avoid any latency while tracking) do I also hear the audio from my computer (such as previous recorded tracks) in my headphones, mixed with the direct signal, or do I solely hear the direct audio input?
Setting the front panel DIRECT MONITOR switch to ON will route your input signals directly to Scarlett Solo’s headphone and main monitor outputs. This enables you to hear yourself with zero latency – i.e., in “real time” – along with the computer playback.

The only thing with direct monitoring is that you will hear the dry input signal. So for instance, if you have a vocal track in PT with reverb on it, you will not hear the reverb when using direct monitoring.

Quote:
3. If the answer to the previous question is yes (that I hear both the direct input and previous recorded tracks), how do I adjust the volume of the direct signal in relation to the previous recorded tracks? I assume by adjusting the monitor knob, I adjust both signals simultaneously.
I haven't used this specific device, but yes, this is how it typically works.

System Details