Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2012, 08:16 PM

Default No Rotary (Leslie) Effect

I’m using ProTools LE Version 8.0.5 on a Windows XP computer with a Digidesign 002 rack interface. Most of my work is in standard midi files using a Yamaha Tyros 2 to enter the midi data and as my external sound module. So far I’m getting along fairly well with this setup. There is one troubling problem that is seriously affecting the playback quality of my midi files. I can’t seem to get any kind of rotary speaker (Leslie) effect into or out of my midi files.
I have enabled everything I can think of in Protools and in the midi options inside the Tyros 2. Some of the presets I use to enter midi tracks from the Tyros into PT have rotary sound as part of the patch while some of them allow me to trigger the rotary effect with a foot switch. As I’m playing I can hear the rotary effect switching on and off (slow-fast-etc.) as I monitor through the PT main output. Likewise, when playing one of the preset patches with the leslie programmed into it I can hear the effect through the PT main output. However, when I play the session that contains the organ track I just entered there is no rotary effect. Any ideas?
Thanks,
DVJ
Old 12-30-2012, 10:42 AM

Default Re: No Rotary (Leslie) Effect

Well you could capture audio and avoid all the MIDI nonsense but sense you are trying to go the MIDI route.

It sounds like what you are hearing is the Yamaha controlling the Patch not the MIDI transmitted.
This means that the changes you make aren't being recorded by PT so it can't play them back.

What you want to do is have PT sit between the two stages of the Yamaha (keyboard Controller and Internal Sound Generator).

To do this set Local to Off on the Tyros, this means you will have to route the control and MIDI into PT then back to the Tyros in order for the Tyros to play.

Now PT will actually see what you are hearing.

If you try to do this with the Local set to On it will create a MIDI Feedback Loop.

When you want to use the Tyros without PT just set Local back to On.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:02 PM

I'll add 2 things. 1-by default, there are a couple of parameters that are checked in the midi input filtering box, so you might UNcheck those. 2-you could route your instrument thru to an AUX track and insert DB-33, which can be used as a Leslie sim(without using the organ part of it).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-30-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I'll add 2 things. 1-by default, there are a couple of parameters that are checked in the midi input filtering box, so you might UNcheck those. 2-you could route your instrument thru to an AUX track and insert DB-33, which can be used as a Leslie sim(without using the organ part of it).
Yes it could also be a MIDI filtering thing.