Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 12:39 PM

Default Mixing Audio From a Live Show w/ Protools

Ok...maybe someone out there can help me with this. I recently performed a live show and recorded the audio on a 24 track recorder. The engineer sent me the files on three DVD rom's labeled Tracks 1-8, 9-17, and 17-24. I plan to take them to a studio locally to have them mixed but I was wondering if it's possible for me to import those files into Protools and work with it from there. If so how would I do that? I have the Digi002.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Mixing Audio From a Live Show w/ Protools

Really it depends on the type of file he saved on the DVD. Assuming it's one of the supported formats (which it most likely is) all you have to do is create a new Pro Tools session and hit ctrl-shift-I (windows) to open the Import Audio dialog box. Locate the tracks on the DVD and click add/convert files. When you've finished, the tracks appear in the regions list.

...hope I helped.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:37 AM

It's generally a good idea to "convert" the files as you transfer them off the DVD's to your audio drive. Even if they're in .wav format sometimes Protools doesn't play nice with audio from other editors, the worst problem being that it will accept the files at first, but when the session is reloaded the files are completely corrupted and unuseable. I run them through Sound Forge's batch converter and they work fine in PT every time. I assume it just writes a fresh generic header on the same data, and it's no slower than a straight file copy.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:46 PM

Thanks guys. That was great advice. I was actually able to import it with no problem after converting. The files were a bit large and took about an hour and a half to import but that's another issue.