Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2016, 06:49 AM

Default Re: VST instruments into PT12

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroturf View Post
yeah i know about the cpu usage, but its a fact. patchwork will take less cpu usage than reaper and rewire, i never said reaper and rewire were CPU hogs, i stated they will use more, and it WILL use more, patchwork uses even less then the little amount reaper + rewire uses. im not saying rewire is difficult, it just takes longer to setup, even if its by a second. OP is saying solely only for vst instruments, yes you could open up more doors with rewire but if its for only that one vst instrument feature, nah, hes better off going patchwork. might as well go for the simple, faster, efficient option
I use Patchwork a lot, too, and really do like how it works. I do have some 32bit VSTs and for those, Reaper is the best option as even with J-Bridge, Patchwork can sometimes be a bit glitchy with those, but Reaper bridges them just fine. Otherwise, yes, Patchwork would be my first option. For VI's I use a lot in Patchwork, I set create the set up in PW, and then save as a preset and then just call that up. Saves searching for the VI and all that. Very nice.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
That would be awesome. Would love to hear your presets as you know we hate programming sounds here Takes too long and after a lot of cursing and screaming we end up using the expansions of Nexus2 and outboard synths hehe

Downloading update 2.5 tomorrow when my headache from tonight calms down!

2hrs and 2 minutes left here in Sweden until new year wooohooo
I got it last night. Works just fine in AAX. Many of the new presets are really nice. Really like some of the ambient sounds in the special "Christmas" preset package...the additional 250 patches they mentioned. There are some rich textures in that bunch.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:37 PM

Honestly, I think the best option is just export a .wav file of the instrument in whatever DAW you have all your VI's in, then just import it to PT with tempo info and markers, if you have any changing sections. Plus, that way you have just an audio file and your computer can save the resources of opening yet ANOTHER instance of a VI.
32GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM
250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 SSD
1TB HGST HTS7210 7200RPM
PT 12.4
Old 11-11-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKjF View Post
Honestly, I think the best option is just export a .wav file of the instrument in whatever DAW you have all your VI's in, then just import it to PT with tempo info and markers, if you have any changing sections. Plus, that way you have just an audio file and your computer can save the resources of opening yet ANOTHER instance of a VI.
Which only works if you're on more than one daw. Still it's a poor substitute for proper aax vi's or using Patchwork and a bit bridge if necessary to work directly in PT. That way you don't have to fire up another daw if you find the sound you used sucks.

QAPLA!
Old 11-12-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demodigi View Post
Yes, AU only. VSL planned to add VST support on Mac, but I don't know if it will ever happen.

In another hand :
).

They already have. I use VE Pro exclusively for VI's takes a load off of PT also.
I highly recommend it.

Best
Mitch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mitch

MacPro 2.44 8 Core

Mac OSX 10.10.5
PT 12.7
HD Native
SyncHD I/O
HD I/O
MIDI I/O
C24
Aja LiHi
Surround Setup
Old 01-17-2017, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the BlueCat advice, actually not being able to use all my freebie guitar VSTs without using Reaper/ReWire had me waffling on switching to Pro Tools as my DAW. That fact BlueCat does parallel signal chains, even cooler.