Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2002, 09:12 AM

Default Import a Karaoke song into Protools?

My dad wants me to record him singing some karaoke songs I was just wondering is there a way to import the karaoke song into pro tools then record his vocals in there, otherwise ill have to run them both through our PA and into pro tools which seems like it will take away from the sound and be a pain

Thank You
Old 12-01-2002, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Import a Karaoke song into Protools?

to import audio from a CD , go to "import audio from other movie" in the "Movie" menu, and then direct Pro Tools through the tedious requests as to where you want to save your track -(probably the Audio files folder of your session), and then drag the file from the Regions list(on the right of your edit window) into your edit window, onto a stereo audio track. This will now play the CD track !
Tedious to say the least, but it works - you will also find a Quick Time file of the same audio residing in your session folder - this you can safely remove to the trash, as you already have the audio saved as a stereo SD2 file . Don't ask why it does this - it just does !!
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 12-01-2002, 06:42 AM

Or just download soundApp and rip the track directly to a dual mono sound design II file and then just drop it in the audio files folder of the session.

It's a lot quicker than using the movie import.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:59 AM

Don't have Toast Audio extractor? Very useful tool, easy to use.Extract and import into PT.

edwardo
Old 12-01-2002, 11:56 AM

What about using Itunes?
Old 12-01-2002, 11:18 PM

iTunes should work, but it will automatically give you a stereo interleaved AIFF file, which would work fine in version 5.1 and above.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:08 PM

I think DIGI says the only way to extract without some sort of compression scheme kicking in (Toast audio extractor sounds thin-mp3 ish) is the Import audio from other movie.

Anybody?

E.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:10 PM

What about just RECORDING the song(s) into ProTools?
This is what I have done when I've done "karaoke" songs. If it's a decent recording with nice levels to begin with, I'll sometimes record using S/PDIF (My CD player has a S/PDIF out). But a nice analog recording of the tune works best for me.
When I transfer this way, I can get optimum levels going in and if need be, I can "beef up" the track with some EQ on my board before I track it.
I like to do it this way to get a nice initial listen to the track so i can start thinking about what I'm going to do with it.

A related story...
I was doing "karaoke" tracks for a commercial jingle singer whose agent was doing a "sound-a-like" series for her clients. We were replicating vocal sounds, effects and getting the finished product to sound like the original recordings.
One of the songs was "Black Dog" by Led Zeppelin. The karaoke track was OK, but it sounded a little sterile and MIDI-ish, like karaoke tracks often do.
In order to "dirty" up the track and get it sounding more Zep-like, we added a mono track of the karaoke tune recording it by playing it through my home stereo and placing a microphone across the room. The living room is pretty "live" and has wood floors.
When we mixed, we added the "dirty" track in the background and the result was great. it added some "sloppiness" to the mix that made it sound more real.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]