Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2006, 04:07 PM

Default PT 7.2 doesnt recognize any drives as valid audio

I just installed Media Station on my G5 with expansion chassis and attached 96 i/o, 2 process cards. Now no matter what I do I cant get Pro Tools to recognize my drives as valid audio drives. I tried traching database data and prefs. And restarting. Help!
Old 09-12-2006, 03:48 AM

Default Re: PT 7.2 doesnt recognize any drives as valid audio

Quote:
I just installed Media Station on my G5 with expansion chassis and attached 96 i/o, 2 process cards. Now no matter what I do I cant get Pro Tools to recognize my drives as valid audio drives. I tried traching database data and prefs. And restarting. Help!
Hi,

Go to windows menu/workspace, now all your available drives should be showing in a list and there are 2 small columns labelled A (audio) and V (video) make sure on these columns on your drives you use for audio recording have the A column set to "R" for record.

Another possible cause is the permission on your hard drives? from your desktop right click and go to get info, there's a pull down menu for ownership and permissions! this needs to be set to read and write for the drives you use for recording.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:53 AM

Default Re: PT 7.2 doesnt recognize any drives as valid au

Actually, the permissions on your drives should be set to IGNORE PERMISSIONS!! If you select the drive, do a Command-I (get info) there's a CHECKBOX in the bottom left of the window that opens. It should say IGNORE PERMISSIONS and should be checked on ALL drives you are using for audio. This is NOT possible with your system drive, however.

BTW, you know that PT will NOT record to network drives or RAIDs that are configured using Apple's Disk Utility or any other 'software' package for RAIDs. The drives must be local, i.e. firewire, SCSI, SATA, whatever.

I do have a dual-drive firewire case from Other World Computing that actually creates a RAID within the Oxford FW chip, so ProTools sees it as a SINGLE, big & VERY FAST drive.

FWIW
Old 09-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Avid

Default Re: PT 7.2 doesnt recognize any drives as valid au

This is a known issue with Media Station and Pro Tools 7.2. Pro Tools must be installed last. The solution is to uninstall and reinstall Pro Tools using the Uninstall Pro Tools utility at Applications>Digidesign>Pro Tools>Pro Tools Utilities.

Also, note that Media Station is not compatible with Mac OS 10.4.7 so you need to stay on 10.4.6.

Best,
Jordan Glasgow
Video Test Engineer