Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2004, 11:05 AM

Default Mbox & Midi questions?

I have a Motif es6 and I have a Mbox what's the easiest way to run midi through this setup. I know how to setup my speakers, but this still puzzles me. I'm really just trying to find how to get my mbox to record the sound I'm playing on my motif?
Old 03-05-2004, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Mbox & Midi questions?

Welcome to Pro Tools.

Mbox does not have any midi connectors for input or ouput so you cannot record midi (which is DATA only).The Mbox does have 2 inputs for audio. Run cables from your audio outs of the Motif to the inputs of the Mbox.

its 12:30 in the morning ...
are you going to bed?
G4 733 Ti 1Ghz 001 Mbox LE6.4 OSX 10.3.8 QT 6.9 XP80 XV2020 Midiman 2 POD2 Logic 6.43
Old 03-05-2004, 12:33 PM

That's all I need to do to get the sound into protools or do I still need a midi interface ? I bought the cords to do what you said but I haven't because I thought I needed a midi interface.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:31 PM

Ok, so what you really want to do is record the sound AND the midi information. Then yes, you will need a midi interface. I use the midi sport 2x2. Midi out from keyboard to midi in on midisport. Midi out from midisport to midi in on keyboard. Link midisport via USB to computer.

Works like this. You press a key. All information (data) related to that key press is sent out your "midi out" on the keyboard to the "midi in" on the midisport. From there it travels through the USB into your computer to a midi track you have created in Pro Tools. You can record this midi information. You can listen to it while recording or playing by creating a aux track and assigning the input to 1 and 2. Audio inputs 1 and 2 will have the audio cables hooked up from your mbox to the keyboard audio outs.

Once you record the midi information on a midi track and then hit play, Pro Tools now sends the midi information back out the computer thru the USB to the midisport. It travels out the "midi out" of the midisport to the "midi in" on your keyboard and triggers your sound module in your keyboard to output audio. By just changing one setting (patch menu) on the midi track, you can select the sound being sent out to the keyboard to be a trumpet rather than a piano. Same notes & data, except a different instrument.

If you hit a late note, you can edit it or quantitize. When you are satisfied with everything then you can send the audio from the aux track to a new audio track (buss) and record a final audio version. From there add plugins or further edit the audio track. Create a master track and bounce to disk.

Have fun!

its 12:30 in the morning ...
are you going to bed?
G4 733 Ti 1Ghz 001 Mbox LE6.4 OSX 10.3.8 QT 6.9 XP80 XV2020 Midiman 2 POD2 Logic 6.43
Old 03-06-2004, 06:52 AM

Thanks for the info I'll go get a midi interface today, but I have another question. I'm making the beat on my Motif and I want to load the beat that I made into pro tools how would I do that ?
Old 03-06-2004, 06:01 PM

Hi,

Hook your Motif audio out into MBox audio in.

In PT create an audio track, set the input of the track to MBox, adjust level, REC enable the track, click record(red dot!). Press play on the Motif. Press stop when done. Voilà!

PTLE 5.1.1 Digi001 MacOS9.2.2 Yikes!400MHz
Old 03-15-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Mbox & Midi & mo\'phatt sound module questions?

I have a bigger headache. I have the Mbox and I have a midi-controller and I just purchased mo'phatt sound module. I cannot configure the pro tools to trigger the sound of Mbox.
And I also have the Midisport Uno interface. I need any advice I can get.