Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2003, 09:52 PM

Default How the !@#$ can anyone use a G5????

The hell with Apple. I am sick of it. How the hell can you release a new computer that no one can use in the audio realm. Has anyone been to apple's user conference? The G5 power supply noise problem is the hottest topic...yet, when you call them, they DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THEY HAVE A FORUM. This is completely unacceptable! Times are a changin. I remember when pc users had all the problems. Now, they are talkin about creative stuff and we are worried about the latest releases and compato problems...when can we get back to MUSIC? I was at a studio today and they were using a Carillon computer with LE and it did 32 tracks no problem and I couldn't even hear the thing...under the heaviest use. Help a brother out...just venting...sorry

...need beer
Old 12-04-2003, 09:56 PM

Default Re: How the !@#$ can anyone use a G5????

never.... buy.....first.....version....of......anything..... .
Old 12-04-2003, 10:04 PM

i have an aluminum email checker
i have an aluminum plant holder, email checker
i have an aluminum, super fast foot rest
i have an aluminum, super fast foot rest, that makes cool NOISES...

this is starting to be kind of funny...
Old 12-04-2003, 10:28 PM

here is a weird thought.
how the hell did digi do it?
do you think they heard all the crazy sound, looked around, shrugged their shoulders and said, "do you think we should warn them?"
"no way apple will be pissed"
screw those poor saps

ok i am done now
Old 12-05-2003, 12:54 AM

I use Mac's......and I have no compatibility problems with PT's or anything else I use. My stuff doesn't crash, doesn't lock up, and doesn't have power supply problems. I think why my gear works so well is because I researched for myself and didn't listen to hype.........and always waited for the caboose when jumping on the upgrade train.

Welcome to the world of guinea pig testing. Don't worry you'll be happy with your foot-rest in 6 to 12 months, while the rest of us continue to make music.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:35 AM

Quote:
I use Mac's......and I have no compatibility problems with PT's or anything else I use. My stuff doesn't crash, doesn't lock up, and doesn't have power supply problems. I think why my gear works so well is because I researched for myself and didn't listen to hype.........and always waited for the caboose when jumping on the upgrade train.

Welcome to the world of guinea pig testing. Don't worry you'll be happy with your foot-rest in 6 to 12 months, while the rest of us continue to make music.
I can't agree more. the latest and greatest rarely is, especially in these days of "let the paying consumer beta test for us so we can make more money."

As far as Apple and tech support, it has gone the way fo all tech support, farmed out. I've spoken to people from canada, india, and many other regions of the world when calling for support, who are obviously jsut reading down a list of "if yes then this, if no then that" questions. they know nothing about the product.

this will, IMHO be Apples demise. If this continues, I suspect within 5 years Apple will most likely be banckrupt. No one is going to spend 3-5x the price of a competitive PC and not get some top notch support. well, I'm not anyway.

I hope I am wrong. I pray I am wrong. I love Macs. I "dislike" windows. But, there will come a time when an upgrade from our Dual 1Ghz G-4 QS will be inevitable in order to stay competitive.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I've spoken to people from canada, india, and many other regions of the world when calling for support, who are obviously jsut reading down a list of "if yes then this, if no then that" questions.
woa! what number did you call? It's pretty well known that the Applecare support line directs you to the support center in Texas - there's no farming out to other states, let alone other countries. you are right however that it's becoming more common to get someone who doesn't really know the systems that well, yet they're still beating the pants off of every other computer company when it comes to customer satisfaction with their support. You have to remember that we're dealing with a very specific software/hardware solution that the people at Applecare support are definitely not going to know anything about troubleshooting, so if you call them with ProTools related problems, they're going to sound like idiots since there's no way they're going to know what you're talking about.

Several of the Geniuses at the Genius Bar(s) out here in LA came from the Applecare phone center in Texas, and they're really top notch folks to deal with in person which I think is a great boon for Apple - they've just got to keep building stores so that more people will be able to have that level of support nearby. Being someone who provides freelance telephone computer support, I can attest to how hard it is to try and troubleshoot someone's problem over the phone, especially if they don't know their way around the computer very well yet - in person is so much easier.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:00 AM

I've got to support Slim on this and Thank God for Applecare, and the guys at the Genius bar at the Apple store...For the last 2 years I basically did't have to use Applecare..well maybe on occasions.

But last week, my Mouse and keyboard would peroidically go dead and freeze in the cursor position, no spinning beachball, and maybe sometimes the grabber hand would keep waving at me, and I didn't feel like waving back.

Long story short, Apple care has proven to be a smart and wise investment, as my 733 waits to be diagnosed with possibly a bad logic board or a faulty USB port. I received a new Mouse in the mail in less than 24 hours..I would say that is good service.

IMHO Apple offers great service, so enough of my 2 cents.

kenny
Old 12-05-2003, 07:12 AM

Quote:

No one is going to spend 3-5x the price of a competitive PC and not get some top notch support. well, I'm not anyway.

Consumer Reports and even PC Magazine have rated Apple Support number one of all PC makers. Even over Sony and Dell...and they rule the roost. That's not to say you won't get the occasional goofball, but it's widely known that their support ranks first.

Quote:
I suspect within 5 years Apple will most likely be banckrupt
They've been saying that for the last 15 years.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:36 AM

I think you are missing the point of the thread. I know the G4 works well. The whole idea is that the G5 is useless because of it's issues. Why should someon who is in the market to buy a computer, buy an older one, like the G4. I knew all about the campato aspects and I waited for digi... I understand that...but something like a power supply??? That's computer building 101. Mac's tech support is horrible, this is my opinion and many other studio owners. Here it is: 1:they know there is a problem, 2: they should instantly replace the old units, 3: apple should make sure that the current sales are FIXED before being shipped!!!!