Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2009, 11:31 AM

Default Radeon 9800 Pro OK for dual 2.5 G5 and HD2 7.4?

I am trying to add a second monitor to my HD2 rig.
I tried a PCI card but began getting "PCI buss too slow errors".

I want to do DVI and VGA (as I have a VGA over ethernet extension box).

I got the monitor to work with the PCI card (only with the "buss slow" errors) so I know my extension box, etc. are working well....

I have a stock AGP card with DVI and ADC connectors. I thought about buying an ADC-VGA adaptor, but the ADC connector on the card doesn't seem to work any more. I didn't notice as I've only been using the DVI for the last few years.

I'm thinking of replacing the AGP card.
SO: will the Radeon card block one of my PCI slots? If so, do I need to move my 2 Digi cards over to accomodate?
won't this mess with the installation?

anyone running a similar system with good results?

I've searched quite a bit and am still confused!

MAC dual 2.5 G5 HD2 software V7.4 OS V10.4.11

thanks
JG
http://www.megasonicsound.com
Oakland, CA
Old 07-03-2009, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Radeon 9800 Pro OK for dual 2.5 G5 and HD2 7.4?

You don't need to buy another Graphic Card, you will be in trouble with PCI buss error,use the G5 stock card only, that comes with 2 outputs:
1-ADC output:buy a ADC to DVI convert at amazon.com ,use that w/ a DVI/HDMI cable and connect in to a LCD display HDMI input1, set display to 640x480, convert video to DVCPRO or MOTIONJPEGA size 320x240,fit video to window and voila, don't use VGA input.

2-DVI output: use as main monitor plug to any 22" LCD monitor

Note: LCD is better than Plasma for this purpose.

Note 2: Sorry, I try to speak english.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:01 PM

thanks for the reply.
I think my ADC port is broken.
I tried my older apple screen on that port as well as my newer one w/ an ADC->DVI converter and nothing!
maybe I just need to replace my AGP with stock?

I am trying to get VGA as my second monitor output so I can send it over to the live room in the studio via an aten USB and VGA over CAT5 extension box.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:55 AM

I believe all Mac G5's were 8x AGP. So... get any 8x agp dual head card. probably easiest to find a AGP 8x DVI/VGA dual head card on ebay. Just make sure its one that a G5 can work with. Most ebay auctions will specify which ones will work with what mac. If you get a Dual DVI card then use a DVI to VGA connector. Those cards will probably ship with one.

search mac video card g5 AGP on ebay. here are a couple:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATi-Radeon-9800-...3%3A1|294%3A50
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-G4-G5-...3%3A1|294%3A50

I have not bought from these sellers it is simply one that I think will work. One thing to remember is a lot of these 8x AGP cards on ebay are not mac spec'd but PC cards flashed with Mac Firmware. hardware wise they are the same. They should be 100% compatible. On this specific card to get it to work with a G4 they put a piece of small tape over some of the connectors so it does not make contact with certain AGP connectors when inserted into the AGP slot in a G4. But if you put it into a G5 you have to physically remove the 2(?) small pieces of tape to enable 8xAGP use. It seems strange but it has something to do with power to the cards between G4 and G5 computers. I have this exact model and have used it in a G4 and a G5 dual 2.3 (after removing the tape) without issues. No drivers to install or anything on OSx10.4.11. (just make sure about the tape thing... I forget if it is remove tape for G4 or remove tape for G5 actually... bad memory)

By using a AGP card you will not run into any PCI buss too busy issues like when you run a second PCI video card.