Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2019, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 2019 !

I never said that no one need 384+ voices... and I know that some solutions offer higher number of voices... but these solution are not cheap either (Nuendo/Nuage) and have also their drawbacks. Otherwise everybody in post would have jumped to Nuendo, which is far from true... And I highly doubted that people complaining in this post have that kind of solutions in mind.

And from what I've read, AVID decides to increase the number of voices for all HD users or at least for AVID HD hardware....

I'm not an Avid FAN as you suggested (incredible how you cannot express any positive opinion without being taxed of being a FAN on Internet), just a bit fed up of angry comments based on fragmented web information... W
Old 01-26-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien78 View Post
... Otherwise everybody in post would have jumped to Nuendo, which is far from true...
This is what in Europe happen. Nuendo/Nuage has left PT/S6 far behind when it comes to functionality, speed, stability and workflow. But older studios have invested in Avid and a DAW-switch is expensive and you need other studios to do the same. In long term you can only win changing to Nuendo/Nuage and save a lots of money!

Last edited by Norbertools; 01-26-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Is it for all Ultimate (3rd party interfaces included) or for HDN and HDX hardware? The news have not been very clear to me...
All Ultimate users apparently, and this is a major correction in the original story. In the comments section, Mike Thornton writes:

Quote:
We have received clarification from Avid on this and updated the article accordingly. "To clarify, in this new version of Pro Tools, the base voice limit for all Pro Tool Ultimate systems (software stand-alone, HD Native, and HDX) is being increased to 384 voices." So no extra cost to get up to 384 voices for all Pro Tools users when this new version is released. As an HD Native user you will get 384 voices with this new version when it is released up from the current 256 voices.
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...racks-and-more

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 01-26-2019, 06:28 AM

I know from some Post Pro companies, that they switched to Nuendo in combination with Nuage, cause they dont want to play Avids game anymore.
Other Studios are still using their HD TDM Hardware with Protools 7 to 10, cause they don´t need all the features in PT12 and 2018. They stay with their HD Accell Hardware, cause their workflow don´t need the new versions. A friend said, that the old TDM Hardware is more stable, than HDX... I don´t know, cause i am happy with HDX and never missed the time with the tdm Hardware... But this off topic... (i still have my control 24 in the closet, but Avid don´t support it anymore. So i switched to a s3 with the dock and Avid still denies to develop a dual s3 setup, like 4 artist mixes combined. Ok better to buy a limited more expensive control surface, than investing in 4 artist mixes )

back to topic

The point is, to sell tracks or make them available through rental is really a strange decision. Avid must be desperate, if they want to make money from the track count. And i can only repeat... all, really all other daws are providing trakcs (up to 999 and more) for free... But we know Protools Ultimate cost 2499 Dollars and 400 per year...So no problem to pay for additional tracks...

Only Avid thinks... :

hey lets talk about this, what if we sell tracks... Do you think, this is a good idea? Answer: Of course what a great new possibiliy to make some more money next all the anual support plans, we provide... Cool So lets do this... Maybe the customers are dumb enough...Hey no problem we are the industry standard and we can do, what we want... the customers are lemmings and they will follow...without critics... Yeah with the right marketing, we can sell this idea as a great new feature, everyone is waiting for... Yes...
Old 01-26-2019, 06:29 AM

I spoke with them about it at NAMM. I was told that all users will see a performance increase. Also confirmed that voice packs are specifically for HDX users that need very heavy track counts for film production sessions.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:45 AM

Wow now its getting really confusing...

Mike Thornton said on twitter:
Andrei:

Is it true, that you have to pay for additional voices?

Mike Thornton:

Only if you want extra voices and you are a stand-alone Protools Ultimate Software Owner.If you own HDX cards there is no charge.

I am interested in clarification...
Old 01-26-2019, 08:20 AM

All PT Ultimate users will have 384 voices (or more)

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...racks-and-more

Last edited by espron; 01-26-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:23 AM

This is Mike’s most recent tweet - all Ultimate users get 384 voices

https://twitter.com/mikeprotools/sta...531936774?s=21

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 01-26-2019, 09:34 AM

Sweet. And 512 extra MIDI tracks I probably never use...
Old 01-26-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Sweet. And 512 extra MIDI tracks I probably never use...
I hope midi tracks at least means instrument tracks