Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2006, 12:09 AM

Default McDSP Analog Channel help wanted

Would any one kindly email me a PT 6 or 7 session template so i can actually see how to use it properly
What I would like to learn is

Fom Digizine Feb 03
The first plug-in I use is McDSP's Analog Channel AC1 with either the Console 1 or Console 3 presets as starting points. AC1 emulates solid-state console saturation, and it really helps glue the mix together. But the way I use it might not be exactly what you'd expect. I've found that the key to getting the best out of AC1 on the stereo bus is to place it on the Master Fader at the beginning of the mixing process and essentially mixing "through it," instead of completing the mix and then inserting it.
When inserted afterwards, the effect of AC1 seems so subtle that it almost does nothing, or it seems to smooth out the mix in a slightly detrimental way. On the other hand, when inserted first, all mix decisions are based on how it affects each track, which really brings the mix together much more quickly. By "pushing" a mix through it, it drives the stereo bus in a different way than when inserted afterwards.

Question: What does he mean by placing it at the begining of the Master Fader ie on the Master Farder Add AC1 as first insert, Oxford EQ as 2nd insert etc?

For an even more analog type of sound when using AC1 on stereo faders — especially the Master Mix Fader — use it in Multi-Mono instead of Stereo mode. This more closely emulates the way that analog stereo busses work because they are actually two mono busses. The left and right channels each saturate independently and Multi-Mono AC1s emulate that type of saturation.

Question: I open two multi mono instances and change one to Right Channel then save--when I open it again it has defaulted back to left channel?

Check Out the Session
As of April 1st, 2003 the Hard Disk Life DigiStudio sessions are no longer available for download.
Question: Can somebody please email me the Feb 03 session

email is
[email protected]

thanks in advance
Dave

PT HD2 PCIe
Old 08-21-2006, 01:55 AM

Default Re: McDSP Analog Channel help wanted

Not sure if you have yet, but check out www.McDsp.com They have some good tutorials and info on how to use these plugins at their best.

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 08-21-2006, 07:08 AM

Yes, he uses AC1 as the first insert on the Master Fader.

To open the multi-mono version of the plug, select one instance of Analog Channel (not two) on the master fader from the Multi-mono/ Dynamics pull-down menu on the insert tab (as opposed to the Stereo/ Dynamics). This will create the multi-mono version of the plug for you.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:12 AM

Download Part 2 of The Digital Mix Buss movie, it's all there

Using AC1
Old 08-21-2006, 09:23 AM

I would also suggest picking up the "Mix It Like A Record" DVD from

http://www.harddisklife.com/

The Analog Channel is only a small part of the Charles Dye mix strategy. His entire strategy is mixing like you would in the old days of analog consoles and tape, but having all the great advantages of a DAW. Great stuff and well worth the money.

Monty
http://www.dimensionzero.com