Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Recorded latency with Mbox on Mac..!!!

I recently discovered this unbelieveable problem. I am using Mbox with IBook G4 1,2Gh, 768Mb, external FW disc and Protools 6.4 with Reason rewire.
The latency is sometimes recorded into the tracks and it sounds totally different from when recording. It gets so delayed that its not only an out of phase problem but it sound like you cant keep the rythm.
I am stunned! This makes the system unusable..
Why is this? And whats the solution?
Old 03-06-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Recorded latency with Mbox on Mac..!!!

I have occasionally had a similar problem, but only when using electric guitar (which I chalk up to bad pickups on the guitar). Sometimes it's there; sometimes not...no idea why it comes and goes.

Solution was to nudge by 3000 samples or so. Once you figure out the amount of latency, the nudge is your best friend.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:15 PM

1. Mute "live" record enabled tracks while recording through the M-box mic pre's or line inputs, and monitor the live source with the "Mix knob" to balance between playback and input. (do not monitor through the pro-tools software)

2. Never record anything with ANY active plugins on a master fader, or Group Aux - disabe these plugins when tracking on an m-box, otherwise you will be recording to audio that you are hearing, latent to where it actually appears in the session, and your performance will be out of time.

3. Anything recorded through a rewire app, or RTAS instrument, will have to be manually shifted (Nudged) to compensate for the latency incurred by the HW Buffer setting.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 03-06-2005, 06:33 PM

Quote:
1. Mute "live" record enabled tracks while recording through the M-box mic pre's or line inputs, and monitor the live source with the "Mix knob" to balance between playback and input. (do not monitor through the pro-tools software)

2. Never record anything with ANY active plugins on a master fader, or Group Aux - disabe these plugins when tracking on an m-box, otherwise you will be recording to audio that you are hearing, latent to where it actually appears in the session, and your performance will be out of time.

3. Anything recorded through a rewire app, or RTAS instrument, will have to be manually shifted (Nudged) to compensate for the latency incurred by the HW Buffer setting.

Never actually owning a 002, would one have to apply the same functions recording with it as you do with the Mbox? I would hate to think the only advantage is Firewire and the extra ins and outs, of which in my case, I don't actually need.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:10 PM

The 002 is able to operate at lower settings for H/W Buffer, so latency can be reduced to an acceptable level, and it also supports 'Low Latency Monitoring', which automatically performs a similar function to the Mbox' "mix knob + muted track" workaround.

Yes, this is a significant advantage of the 002 over the Mbox.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:08 PM

Quote:
The 002 is able to operate at lower settings for H/W Buffer, so latency can be reduced to an acceptable level, and it also supports 'Low Latency Monitoring', which automatically performs a similar function to the Mbox' "mix knob + muted track" workaround.

Yes, this is a significant advantage of the 002 over the Mbox.
Agreeing with Tele, and commenting more on "LowLatency monitoring" on an 001 / 002 ....

you still get the feel of tracking "through" pro-tools, not having to mute your live input.

The "Mix knob" is built into the hardware, and in LLM, the volume in the software, on the rec enabled track, act's like the "Input" section of the Mix knob on an 002.

So... you can hear your punches in and out, playback what you just recorded without un-muting the track, and toggle "auto input monitor" while the track is armed but not recording, flipping back and forth between the live source, and what is playing "on tape" on that track.

I really wish they'd included the LLM technology with the m-box, it is my largest dissapointment with the unit.

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
Old 03-06-2005, 08:20 PM

Adding LLM to the Mbox, without going to Firewire, would still ... be sub-optimal. It's time for a new replacement for the Mbox, with features like those in the (announced, not yet shipping) Focusrite Saffire.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:25 PM

I'll sign that petition...

perhaps I just did.

ok... we're up to "2" !

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
Old 03-06-2005, 10:31 PM

Let's make that "3"!
Old 03-07-2005, 05:32 AM

....and 4!!!

lnl