Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2014, 01:36 PM

Default Can I use my licensed Pro Tools without iLok

I want to take my laptop abroad with a licensed version of ProTools all bought & paid for without taking my actual ilok with me. I understand I can't use one license simultaneously, but there won't be anyone else using/running it. I'm loathe to take said iLok with me abroad as I'm afraid I might loose it. Is there not a virtual one I can take with me?
Old 10-26-2014, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Can I use my licensed Pro Tools without iLok

No, it's a license dongle, you need it connected to the computer to use Pro Tools.

The potability of the iLok is a benefit in easily moving between different computers, but it has a lot of drawbacks, and iLok software has had lots of issues, and their support sucks. Look at the ZDT options on iLok.com so you are aware of that before you lose or have your iLok stolen.

Of course you could just work in Logic Pro (I saw that in your profile) and one of this would be an issue.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:31 PM

Default Can I use my licensed Pro Tools without iLok

If you are set on using ProTOols abroad, I agree with Darryl and sign up for the ZDT. I would also get a second iLok just in case the other one gets stolen, broken or fails. You should put it in a metal briefcase with handcuffs attached to your wrist :P
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 10-27-2014, 11:05 PM

To minimise your outlay due to the possible loss of your iLok: leave it at home.

Then buy another iLok2 and install just the Pro Tools trial version:

Get Your 30-Day Free Pro Tools Trial
http://www.avid.com/Trial/ProTools

You can also trial some neat Avid Plugins - for example, hit the Free Trial button on this page:
http://www.avid.com/US/products/pro-limiter

Last edited by unkJE; 10-27-2014 at 11:27 PM. Reason: take the Plugin trials too!
Old 10-29-2014, 02:23 PM

Cheers guys.
Yes, I use Logic & have it on my desk top Mac Pro AND my Macbook (2009) laptop, so worse case scenario, I'll use (& have used) Logic whilst abroad. Logic's a great sketch pad, BUT... (& goes without saying) I much prefer PT. Got tons of stuff that needs to be done, & could do without the hassle of transferring/OMF'ing it all over from PT to Logic, then back again.
Even though my Macbook is getting on & only has 2 gig of ram, I have used PT on it & it works fine, so gonna look into the ZDT options &/or another iLok

Cheers again