Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2009, 04:50 PM

Default Nudge for Delay Compensation

i've recorded a rhythm guitar track on a song...forgot to turn off delay compensation first, so the guitar is sitting wrong (sounds early). does anyone have an idea of how to figure out how far to move the vocal track back?
according to the delay comp fields in the mixer window, the bass guitar track is the most delayed track (the info in it's delay comp field is orange)...the dly is 1364 samples, the cmp is 830 samples. but it feels like the right amount to nudge the rhythm guitar is somewhere in between.

thoughts?
thanks!
rob
Old 06-06-2009, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Nudge for Delay Compensation

Did you record your guitar track with DC on? it's not recommended.....

My fix would be tab to transients and identify sync point and nudge guitar track to match up with either the bass or click and see if there's a better feel to it.....

Believe me I'm not the brightest bulb in the factory but I am practical in times like these.....hope this helps.

J Fred
Old 06-06-2009, 10:07 PM

Sorry...wasn't paying complete attention....

turn off DC and make sure everything without guitar is still tight....then align the guitar to that with "tab to transients"/"Identify sync point" and see what gives....

or just rerecord the part....

sometimes it's best to 'man up' and redo the part...you'll probably play it better anyway....

j fred
Old 06-06-2009, 10:19 PM

You can pingback to see where the thing is placing your file. Loop in and out the same way you had it and see how far off the waveform gets dropped.

It shouldn't be off at all, even with a delay compensator on. That's just simple math and they know all the numerals to subtract. I heard that the creaky old HD compensator will actually drop the files in sync with the compensator on, but the manual was never updated to reflect that. Someone ought to test it and see...
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:31 AM

As far as I know, simply recording with ADC enabled won't cause the problem you're describing unless you're recording through aux channels with high latency plugs. I never turn ADC off when recording and (assuming we're not talking about midi) the only time something shows up early is when the "talent" has had a little too much coffee...or is just one of those "couldn't find the groove if they fell in it" types.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 06-07-2009, 03:43 PM

i know for a fact that there are circumstances in which recording with Delay Compensation on results in the recorded track playing back early.
maybe it's only when there are rtas plugs on the master track, or an aux track, or maybe just any rtas at all....not sure about that...but i know it happens.

the only way i've found to really be SURE this doesnt happen, is to, before recording, turn DC off and de-activate all rtas plugs. problem is...when you've got a lot of rtas plugs going, it's quite a hassle to de-activate em all, plus the mix can radically change......

i am sure there's gotta be somewhere to look for the right number of samples to nudge....there's so much freaking info in the delay compensation fields on the mix page....it's gotta be there. i just don't know how to think about it. and i was hoping someone who understands this junk has figured it out.

r
Old 06-07-2009, 03:55 PM

There are numbers you're not seeing involved as well, and then there are potentially multiple layers of delays on the way out.

Nonetheless, there is no excuse for them not aligning the audio properly: this is a completely closed system (other than the possibility of external 3rd party converters) and they know exactly what is happening. A 7 year old can do the arithmetic required. Making you have to do it yourself is antithetical to the whole point of computers.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:35 PM

i think i just solved my issue with a feature i did not know about.
on the I/O setup there is a button I has not turned on : "Compensation for Output Delays After Record Pass"

I think that solves it. Sorry for the bother!!

Rob
Old 06-07-2009, 04:37 PM

Ah yes. That's the checkbox I have no explanation for...when would you NOT want that checked?
Old 06-07-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
when would you NOT want that checked?
Bill Gates must have stopped by the programmer's office that day.