Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2008, 08:38 PM

Default .bwf from Sound Devices 744T

We did a 16mm film shoot where audio was recorded on a Sound Devices 744T as .bwf files. The post house doing the telecine needs a timecode dat instead, so I want to import the .bwf's into Protools with the original timecode stamp and lay back to a timecode dat. I can't get Protools to recognize the files at all. For Broadcast Wav, does .bwf work in Protools 7.2.1, or does it have to be a .wav instead? Any insight into how I might pull this off would be much appreciated!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:25 PM

Default Re: .bwf from Sound Devices 744T

Tell the Telecine house to work with the Broadcast wave files by renting the same recorder. You will spend way too much time trying to import files and then figuring out how to lay those off to DATS. This is something that should have been considered way before shooting.

Are all your dailies MOS, since they can't play the files?

Sounds like you need to go to another telecine facility. What you propose to do is going to be a huge PITA!

By the way, Pro Tools should be able to read bwf files just fine.

Good luck with this.
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net
Old 02-27-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
We did a 16mm film shoot where audio was recorded on a Sound Devices 744T as .bwf files. The post house doing the telecine needs a timecode dat instead, so I want to import the .bwf's into Protools with the original timecode stamp and lay back to a timecode dat. I can't get Protools to recognize the files at all. For Broadcast Wav, does .bwf work in Protools 7.2.1, or does it have to be a .wav instead? Any insight into how I might pull this off would be much appreciated!
PT will import those files just fine. The suffix .bwf is a non-standard suffix wich was established by the Deva2 and somehow is still floating around.

The standard suffix for broadcast wave is .wav.

Just batch-change the suffix to .wav and PT should be able to import them.

Many 744T users don´t know that the 744 will always record broadcast wave no matter how you set the suffix in the menue. The recent versions of the 744 completely dropped the .bwf option because it caused nothing but confusion.

frank.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:15 AM

frank.

[/QUOTE]

How does one batch convert the suffix of many files. I have run into this problem before. I assume this is different from a Pro Tools batch convert.

Buddy
S6 32 fader 2022.9
Old 02-28-2008, 08:19 AM

Just out of curiosity but why would the Telecine house need the audio? Are you having them put the audio and video together in the Telecine process? I hear this isn't a great idea on a regular basis. To just Telecine the video and relink the audio in Avid/FCP.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:

frank.
How does one batch convert the suffix of many files. I have run into this problem before. I assume this is different from a Pro Tools batch convert.

Buddy

[/QUOTE]

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14404
Old 02-28-2008, 11:13 AM

Thanks Eric and Frank for all the info! I think the inital bwf's I got were corrupt. The data DVD I received with all the audio files(48k, 30fps TC) from the shoot imported fine.

We decided to skip the DAT and just import the files directly into Final Cut. I put all the files in a timeline(48k, 30fps) at their original timestamp and then imported the whole thing into a new 48k session @ 29.97fps, with the source sample rate in the import window set at 47,952. I then exported those converted files to the Final Cut editor, where he synced everything up to the video transfer. Seems like it worked fine.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:

frank.

Buddy
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14404

[/QUOTE]

To batch convert the suffix of many files in mac OSX:
- open the folder containing all the file you want to batch, and be sure that is the floating open folder.
- open the "Replace Text in Item Names.scpt" located in library script,
- run the script
- select file Names
- write the text you want to replace ".bwf"
- write the new text ".wav"
- press Ok!

beppe

MacBook Pro 17" 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB
macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Pro Tools LE 12.6.1

modiomedia.com

Old 02-29-2008, 08:57 PM

A good rename app which allows you to drill down folders. It works as a contextual menu item in the Finder. (Payware but it's relatively inexpensive):

http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/ A Better Finder Rename

-jeremiah