Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2003, 04:52 PM

Default I\'m just a midiot. Can ya help me. Pleeeezzz

Ok. The only thing that I know about midi is that it connects my floor board to my GSP2101.......

What I would like to know is how hard it would be for me to play my V-Drums in to my Digi01 as midi - not audio...
Then I need to know how hard it would be to replace say my V-Snare with a midi snare file.
I have drag and drop drummer, and there is a folder on the disc of midi files. I am thinking that I should be able to use these with my V-Drums if I wanted to.....

Like I said - I'm a Midiot
Old 11-01-2003, 09:35 AM

Default Re: I\'m just a midiot. Can ya help me. Pleeeezzz

Bump for finalcut...I know it's possible and easy. If someone with V-Drums doesn't see this (I don't use em), I'll try to get you going.
-Roy
Old 11-01-2003, 11:54 AM

I'll jump in cause I tried this before.

You'll need to be able to record the raw midi data. For this you'll need to connect the midi out port to your digi. I understand there's 2 or 3 version of V-drum in the line, I'm not sure all of them have a midi in/out. This will get your raw midi data into a file, but all the drums will be on one channel. That is, you'll have to use the v-drums brain to play back the stuff, OR use another sampler or whatever that in which you can set up the same midi notes corresponding to the specific drums. For example. If the roland puts out the kick info to note say... F#, then the other brain you use will have to read it in the same place...F# or let you choose what sample to play at F# so you can set it up yourself. Doing it this way will alow you to change a snare sound if the unit/samplet/whatever lets you do that itself.

If you want to change sounds alot, and you have sound replacer I suggest figureing out a way to record the v-drums as seperate discrete tracks. That is , all the drums to different tracks in PT. The use Sound Replacer to change the samples after the fact. I can't remember if the V-Drums have seperate outs on the back of the brain. If not, there might be a way to record the info from the drum itself before it gets to the brain. Say... run the output from the drum into a PT track thats record enabled, then from the PT track back out into the brain. I've heard of this working but never tried it myself. I don't know if the signal would work that way or not, or if its even an audio signal.

Anybody else know about recording V-drums as descrete tracks?
Old 11-01-2003, 12:31 PM

This is a good start. Thanks guys. I have a buddy coming over next week to help me set up. He's real good with midi, so I should learn a lot from him. Sounds to me like once the set up is complete, the rest should be easy enough.
Thanks again.