Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 06:31 PM

Default For 10.4.2 Tiger Users

A while ago I posted a problem with weird, DAT scrubbing kind of distortion noises happenening when Pro Tools went into record mode. I still get them occasionally (about 1-2 every 8 hours of tracking). I am still running PT 6.9.1 for Panther and have 10.3.9 Panther. I think this noise could have something to do with Digi Core Audio manager (the same sound happened thru Itunes and other apps as well). Considering that version of Core Audio was not stable with 10.3.9, I'm wondering if the new Tiger Version may get rid of my noises (since it seems they've fixed many of the bugs).

And I know not everyone had those buggy distortions, but those that did, know exactly the awful sound I mean. Have any of you 10.4.2 folks had these awful DAT scrub type noises when starting a recording pass?

I was hoping to wait to upgrade. But hearing Jam again AND getting rid of the distortion bugs may be too good to pass up.

thanks!
brian
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: For 10.4.2 Tiger Users

Quote:
Have any of you 10.4.2 folks had these awful DAT scrub type noises when starting a recording pass?
Brian,

I had never heard these sounds in Panther, so my response may or may not be useful...

And the answer is: I have not heard anything like this in Tiger as well.

I am very careful about quitting out of pt before trying to launch any core audio apps... and I am very careful about making sure all coreaudio apps are done before re-launching pt.

OT: will we ever get a multi-threaded coreaudio driver, so that protools can take the output of these apps and run with it (that is, listen to itunes while protools is running)? Is it technically possible?
Old 07-27-2005, 07:36 PM

one more thing -- I hear white-noise burst type sounds once in a blue moon when working on a PTLE rig and the drive is too slow/computer can't keep up. But I don't think that's what you're referring to.

I do 99.8% of my work on a HD TDM rig, so this probably doesn't help you.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:35 AM

Greetings.

I don't know if this is the cause or not but Pro Tools is not approved under 10.3.9. The last approved version of Panther was 10.3.8. I'm not sure if these problems existed before you went to 10.3.9 or after but you may want to try going back to 10.3.8 and see what happens. I think the bigget addition in 10.3.9 was the groundwork for Qucktime 7, which cause a lot of havoc for audio apps.

Hope this helps.
Nate
Old 07-28-2005, 10:37 AM

i'm getting these noises too when attempting vocal ods

at first i thought the tube on the neumann M149 was crapping out or something

now this post makes me suspicious of the PT HD 4

what gives?

i'm hearing others with a similar experience and i think we need an honest response on any possible history of this from tech support.

Old 07-28-2005, 11:45 AM

studiojimi,

what version of PT and Mac OS are you running? If Tiger 10.4.2, my theory about this being a Core Audio 10.3.9 thing goes out the window.

Yes, I know 10.3.9 is unsupported (boy did I learn the hard way a few weeks or months ago when Jam and Toast stopped playing through my 192). We went thru all that in this forum ad nauseum. I know I have to revert to 10.3.7 or 10.3.8. But if I'm going to go through the work of completely wiping a drive, reauthorizing or whatever, I might consider spending that time installing a new OS rather than an old one. That's why I was wondering if any Tiger people have this prob too.

I know not everyone has the issue. And I've invested in retooling my AC, reseating cards, dehumidifying room, redoing rack spaces et al just to eliminate any potential probs with the CPU and the 192. Digi test is ok. Mac test is ok (G5 2ghz dual, 1 gig ram).

Speaking of RAM, might different brands of RAM be an issue? Grasping here... really

brian
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:41 AM

Quote:
studiojimi,

what version of PT and Mac OS are you running? If Tiger 10.4.2, my theory about this being a Core Audio 10.3.9 thing goes out the window.

Yes, I know 10.3.9 is unsupported (boy did I learn the hard way a few weeks or months ago when Jam and Toast stopped playing through my 192). We went thru all that in this forum ad nauseum. I know I have to revert to 10.3.7 or 10.3.8. But if I'm going to go through the work of completely wiping a drive, reauthorizing or whatever, I might consider spending that time installing a new OS rather than an old one. That's why I was wondering if any Tiger people have this prob too.

I know not everyone has the issue. And I've invested in retooling my AC, reseating cards, dehumidifying room, redoing rack spaces et al just to eliminate any potential probs with the CPU and the 192. Digi test is ok. Mac test is ok (G5 2ghz dual, 1 gig ram).

Speaking of RAM, might different brands of RAM be an issue? Grasping here... really

brian
i'm using the lastest everything

PTHD 4 10.4.2

this happened before the upgread on occasion but appears to be happening a bit more during vocal tracking on punch in small bits of vocal lines