Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2011, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Is protools 9 "multiclient" on windows? + RANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
But it uses the same drivers as its predecessor the 002, which is multiclient, in the sense that we're talking about here, where multiple programs can play through the interface at the same time.

Am I misunderstanding something? Isn't jhornqvist on Ideascale having the opposite experience of collinsylex?
I dunno what 002 you've been using... but that's never been multiclient either.

No Mac or PC I've ever used has let me use an 002 or 003 with more than one piece of software at a time.

002/003 and all HD hardware is single client only, and that is confirmed by Avid.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 04-14-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
For me, the bounce-freeze problem was solved by turning off the Aero theme, which is on by default in Win7. It makes it look sort of like you've reverted to XP, which is a shame. But, hey, at least you can bounce!

I'm pretty sure i have this covered, i selected "best performance" under the display options then went and selected windows basic theme as instructed in the AVID system tweak video... i'll double check tho to make sure aero is gone...

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
I dunno what 002 you've been using... but that's never been multiclient either.

No Mac or PC I've ever used has let me use an 002 or 003 with more than one piece of software at a time.

002/003 and all HD hardware is single client only, and that is confirmed by Avid.
002R purchased in 2005. Maybe that's a difference between the rack and console versions (even though they use the same driver?). On my Win7x64 machine, I can hear any programs I like through my 002R all at once. I've done Skype sessions where PT, Skype, and iTunes are all using the 002R simultaneously. The only caveate is, Pro Tools has to be launched first. It can't grab it while another program has it. But once PT launched, any other program can share it. I can also tell Windows to use outs 3&4 and patch those into a pair of inputs to record Windows output into PT.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 04-14-2011, 11:41 AM

I actually had a very similar experience to jhornqvist on Ideascale. RME allowed multiclient on my mac, but it does not on my windows box.

when i was using mbox pro on my mac, if i even opened itunes (not even play) i would have errors out that wazoo from pro tools! with the rme or even internal mac audio, everything was wonderful! lol
Old 04-14-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
002R purchased in 2005. Maybe that's a difference between the rack and console versions (even though they use the same driver?). On my Win7x64 machine, I can hear any programs I like through my 002R all at once. I've done Skype sessions where PT, Skype, and iTunes are all using the 002R simultaneously. The only caveate is, Pro Tools has to be launched first. It can't grab it while another program has it. But once PT launched, any other program can share it. I can also tell Windows to use outs 3&4 and patch those into a pair of inputs to record Windows output into PT.
yep...on my 002 console too

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 04-18-2011, 01:12 PM

After all of this, the real answer is not clear.... We have some people saying it works with their digi hardware, others saying it does not work with their digi hardware... Not really many people saying anything about getting it working with their favourite 3rd party interface... (works on the m-audio appairently)

So, OFFICIALLY ... Is protools under windows 7 supposed to be multiclient or not?? (digisupport could you shed some light on this?? i can't find anything documented about this issue...) Is this something that will be changed as a bug-fix or is it considered normal?

With my Mac, i can confirm that multiclient operation is working fine with my RME Card and protools 9, but it is not working at all on windows7.

Official word??
Old 04-18-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsylex View Post
Is protools under windows 7 supposed to be multiclient or not??
Pro Tools is a client. It's the hardware that is multi-client or not, depending on how its drivers are written.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 04-18-2011, 03:54 PM

ok ok, i get that, sorry if i wan't asking the question in quite the right way... I realize its the drivers for the interface that needs to be multiclient....But at this point i am thinking that when it comes to using pro tools, there is a difference between a standard "multiclient" driver and a "multiclient while protools is running" driver. I'm pretty sure that the only company that has ever put any thought into "multiclient while protools is running" would probably be DIGI/AVID as they are historically the only company that made interfaces specifially for pro tools use.

I don't know for sure, but i would be willing to bet that the DIGI00X users who can't get multiclient operation working under pro-tools are probably quite capable to have "reason" stand alone open at the same time as windows media player or itunes... Or ableton live running at the same time as a internet explorer stream... Open up pro tools and boom, functionality gets limited (thats my guess... you guys can confirm or deny this)

As already explained, I have a RME interface and i'm using totalmix for DSP routing. AFAIK it is basically the ultimate in multiclient operation! RME Drivers are known for being VERY good, not some stoneage one thing at a time sort of setup.. (if you don't know about RME cards and "totalmix", its all about routing ANY source TO ANY destination at any time.. thats the whole idea! Protools is the exception, because there is something about protools that isn't playing fair like all the other normal ASIO loving DAW softwares i own!)

SO if someone could please explain to me how a very capable multiclient card gets completely taken over by one audio app (PT9) that won't allow the card to function with other apps at the same time... If I am using any program but pro tools, my card is completely multi client enabled!

I'll re-phrase the question then... Pro Tools 9, is it supposed to support standard "multiclient drivers" or only "multiclient drivers created for pro tools by the makers of pro tools"
Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsylex View Post
As already explained, I have a RME interface and i'm using totalmix for DSP routing. AFAIK it is basically the ultimate in multiclient operation! RME Drivers are known for being VERY good, not some stoneage one thing at a time sort of setup.. (if you don't know about RME cards and "totalmix", its all about routing ANY source TO ANY destination at any time.. thats the whole idea! Protools is the exception, because there is something about protools that isn't playing fair like all the other normal ASIO loving DAW softwares i own!)

SO if someone could please explain to me how a very capable multiclient card gets completely taken over by one audio app (PT9) that won't allow the card to function with other apps at the same time... If I am using any program but pro tools, my card is completely multi client enabled!

I'll re-phrase the question then... Pro Tools 9, is it supposed to support standard "multiclient drivers" or only "multiclient drivers created for pro tools by the makers of pro tools"
I previously had a RME FF800 connected to my main DAW PC (Win 7 64-bit with PT 9) and recently moved it to another PC in my studio. I replaced it with a new RME FF UFX. I can run multiple simultaneous sources including Windows Media Player (I don't use iTunes) into TotalMix (previously with the FF800) and TotalMix FX (currently with the FF UFX) with no problems while working in PT 9. I can record them all simultaneously or just play them back simultaneosly. I have had no problems with PT 9 "taking over the driver."

Just as a test last night, I had two mic inputs recording on audio channels 9 & 10, a digital output from my Sony XBR TV going into the AES digital inputs and Windows media player routed to two additional channels. I recorded them all at one time. It was a mess, but it worked. LOL

You need to make sure that in Windows 7 you have routed the Windows sound output to the appropriate RME interface inputs for your Winodws 7 sound outputs using the small speaker icon for the audio properties in the bottom right hand corner of the system tray. As you mentioned, TotalMix and TotalMix FX are digital matrix mixers and should allow you to route any combination of inputs to any combination of outputs (pracically). I would suspect something in your system or system configuration as there are many users on the RME forum working successfully with this combination.

Hope this helps and hope that you can get your issue sorted out, but I don't think it is PT 9 or RME. They work great for most users I have talked with.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:22 PM

Now thats interesting! I have the FireFace UC which uses a simple version of totalmix fx (no FX unfortunately).. Perhaps there is a difference in the driver you and i have running..

Did you do anything special with the ProTools IO settting or anything? i only have the ports that i want to use in pro tools enabled, perhaps if i open it all up it will allow other ports to be used by system audio... hard to say

I run system audio thru to software 5/6 which i can send to / and "loopback" easlily into other DAW's via the hardware output loopback button... But, when pro tools is open, Itunes play button doesn't work, and WMP gives an error while attempting to launch an audio file!

The only thing audio related i can get to work at the same time pro tools is open, is Recording pro tools audio to the DIGICHECK app. I can't play back the files though without closing pro tools... if i try play back the files via the digicheck recorder interface with pro tools open, Digicheck crashes! Bizzarr!

Ill mess with this a bit more tonight... wow ive killed hours trying to figure this out lol

Thanks a bunch for the reply^^^