Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2009, 10:02 PM

Default 8.0.1 very slow! ! !

I've been running 8.0cs3 for ages as a fast reliable plaform on my dual 2 Ghz G5, but ever since "upgrading" to 8.0.1 i've noticed my system runs extremely slow and "thinks" often and either gives me a beachball or takes ages to giv the cursor back to me after a record pass or something.. it's very weird, i thought as the last release for PPC it would at least work decent rather than give the ageing process a kick start push downhill *lol

Anyone else seeing their G5 get noticeably slower since 8.0.1 ? any suggestions for something i should have done ?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:14 PM

Default Re: 8.0.1 very slow! ! !

Put all your drives into the spotlight privacy list? This is a biggie. I've had a couple HD rigs move like molasses with spotlight enabled.

Pull all plug-ins and make sure its not something causing it to go slow?
IE Massey plug-ins?

Trash prefs, volumes and DAE prefs?
It should make PT 8 more light weight, so something sounds off.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:15 PM

did you trash prefs and databases since the update?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:58 PM

Slower here as well. will try to do what is suggested. Also not getting as good of performance..
Old 09-14-2009, 01:51 AM

thanks for the suggestions i didn't even think to do these funnily enough but will do when i get back into the studio and let you know how it goes... cheers M
Old 09-14-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo View Post
Put all your drives into the spotlight privacy list? This is a biggie. I've had a couple HD rigs move like molasses with spotlight enabled.

Pull all plug-ins and make sure its not something causing it to go slow?
IE Massey plug-ins?

Trash prefs, volumes and DAE prefs?
It should make PT 8 more light weight, so something sounds off.

massey plugins make PT slow?? since when? I use them all the time...
Old 09-14-2009, 09:24 AM

I don't have ANY issue with Massey plugs on 8.0.1. I'd blame Spotlight, and Database/Pref's before Massey. Got an editing system with JUST Massey and Digi plugs - works great. I'd blame companies like IK Multimedia, PSP, and the Stylus people.

My problems have more to do with:

Horozontal Scrolling, (Kensington Trackballs abound)

Selections, (making one, copying one, visually seeing what's been selected, etc)

ADC-MIDI - (not gonna get into it here).

Anti-Aliasing - (on automation lanes, etc)

and last (yeah right) LOOP CRASH / WORKSPACE issues.

I think that the last two years of operating PT (and supporting a dozen systems for PT) has made me OCD. I walk up to a system, assuming it has crashed in the last 24 hours, repair permissions, trash pref's/databases (the latter on startup via the tool), re-create a good pref-set, back those up, and then start my day. Damn. That's a few steps to make sure what used to be Rock Solid will *hopefully* not fail, mid-punch-in or whatever.

For the most part, PT8 is stable here. But with so many people in and out, outside plugs coming in for a week or two here and there, and 12 guys in 6 rooms with different boot volumes, etc, to placate, I have to be a total PT-Police Officer.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:39 AM

Wow, very stressing routine!
Sorry.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:33 AM

No problems here using Massey Plugins on 8.0.1. System is solid.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syMPh View Post
I've been running 8.0cs3 for ages as a fast reliable plaform on my dual 2 Ghz G5, but ever since "upgrading" to 8.0.1 i've noticed my system runs extremely slow and "thinks" often and either gives me a beachball or takes ages to giv the cursor back to me after a record pass or something.. it's very weird, i thought as the last release for PPC it would at least work decent rather than give the ageing process a kick start push downhill *lol

Anyone else seeing their G5 get noticeably slower since 8.0.1 ? any suggestions for something i should have done ?
I am on Snow Leopard and I KNOW that it aint compatible yet. Nevertheless, 8.0.1 is acting extremely weird on my CPU. 8.0 cs3 was nice and I am thinking on reverting to that.

In 8.0.1 the transport indicator (black line) is skipping all the time and is not running smooth at all (Audio is unaffected). Selecting regions is REALLY slow takes about a second before the region actually gets selected after clicking it

Clicking on an insert slot to access the plug list takes about a second to open. In 8cs3 is was instantaneous.

The vertical scrolling with a mighty mouse is WORSE than ever. I have to set the scroll speed to absolute minimum in sys preferences and it is still WAY too fast.
Wonder if digi never scrolls in PT.

I am hoping the final SL will be A LOT better than this.

Also, QC 4 BETA is working with all other applications than pro tools. ALL menus with a sub menu are inaccessible via QC in PT.