Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2002, 10:01 AM

Default Digi 001 & win200?

Hey All,
Im thinking of buying a Digi 001 since we use it at school on a mac(i havn't had much experience at it yet though) and im getting a mini-home studio setup together at home. Ive heard that protools (not sure which version) that comes with the digi 001 (i think thats correct?) doesn't work with windows 2000?
It maybe possible that i can get windows 98 going on my current system, but im not 100% sure since i have my computer raided and don't know whether the drivers support 98.
If protools doesn't run on windows 2000, is there any other software that is compatible with the Digi 001?
Also, someone said that protools supports plugins? - is that vst(i) plugins? or special digidesign plugins?

Cheers all in advance [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Dom

P.S i would upgrade to XP, but ive had many problems with it at school and my current 2000 machine is extremely stable surprisingly [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2002, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Digi 001 & win200?

Hi there,

**Im thinking of buying a Digi 001 since we use it at school on a mac(i havn't had much experience at it yet though) and im getting a mini-home studio setup together at home. Ive heard that protools (not sure which version) that comes with the digi 001 (i think thats correct?) doesn't work with windows 2000?
It maybe possible that i can get windows 98 going on my current system, but im not 100% sure since i have my computer raided and don't know whether the drivers support 98.
If protools doesn't run on windows 2000, is there any other software that is compatible with the Digi 001?**

RESPONSE: you know, if you wanna upgrade it to XP, that'll be the way to go! Since the new ProTools 5.3.1 supports WinXP with 32tracks, I think it's better than 5.1 (running on Win98) with only 24 tracks. As far as what computer parts work best with Digi001 and PTLE, go to the Digi001 Window user forum and look for something like "PC for ProTools under $800" for detail. PT for PC is quite picky about what computer parts you use.

**Also, someone said that protools supports plugins? - is that vst(i) plugins? or special digidesign plugins?**

RESPONSE: The type of plugins PTLE uses is called RTAS (Real Time Audio Suite) and Audiosuite. VST is for Steinberg series software like Cubase. VSTi is VST version of softsynth. DX is DirectX, DXi is DirectX instrument. PT doesn't support either VST or DX~ Just look for the plugins you like and make sure it's RTAS compatible and will work on a PC. When you buy Digi001, it comes with some very useful plugins already~

**P.S i would upgrade to XP, but ive had many problems with it at school and my current 2000 machine is extremely stable surprisingly **

RESPONSE:
Some say 2000 is better, some say XP... to me, both are great~ OH, but one advise...if you wanna use XP, make sure it's a clean install and not an upgrade. PT likes it clean install better. Other things you need for better performance are... a second HD for audio, pure VIA chipset for your motherboard if you're using AthlonXP or Thunderbird; Intel 845, 850 chipset for Pentium 3 or Pentium 4. Make sure your Digi001 PCI card is not sharing IRQ or on the same IRQ with your modem or NIC. IRQ 9 works best. Disable ACPI in your Windows.

If you're using Gigastudio or other Audio applications like Soundforge or Sonar...make sure you keep your original soundcard!!! Because your Digi001 will ONLY play with PTLE and not anything else. So if you still wanna listen to mp3 or other multimedia on your computer, you'll need to keep your soundcard~

goodluck~
Old 10-06-2002, 04:20 PM

PT LE 5.3.1 does not work under Windows 2000
Windows XP Home and -Pro are OK.

I made my XP Pro audio-only according to what
has been stated at http://www.musicxp.net/

It does increase the speed.

Harry
Old 10-07-2002, 12:46 AM

how do I force the digi to sit in an IRQ by itself?

Isn't acpi essential for a computer to operate.
what are the pros and cons of disabling it?

does PT 5.3.1 work in 2k
Old 10-07-2002, 08:03 AM

Run a dual boot configuration. On my system I run WinME & Win2000. I use IDE1 for my boot drive & audio drive, IDE2 is for cdroms And my raid controller is stripped & mirrored & dedicated to Win2000. WinXP is a pile of dodo in my opinion. My system is very stable and the only time I experence problems is when I try to run to many RTAS plugins at the same time. Keep on trackin, PEACE Axgrindr PS. If unsure about the setup or just need help email me. L8er [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2002, 06:05 AM

Cheers for that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Ive got brought one for xmas [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] lol, so all i now need to do is dual boot. I think its gonna be dual boot 98 & 2000, since my system is the same as Axgrindr, in terms of raided etc.
Just need to buy a new hd for 98 and i'll be up and running. Though, id be VERY, VERY interested in finding PTLE 5.3.1 BETA version. Ive looked high and low, and can't find it [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] . That is the only way to get protools to run on win2000, oh wells [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] . 98 it is.