Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Direct Monitoring

OK, so I just purchased the M-Audio Firewire 1814 and Pro Tools M-Powered 7.1 and am having trouble with direct monitoring. It works fine for initial tracking, but what do you do when you need to punch in on a track using direct monitoring? Digi recommends muting the track you are recording to and monitoring via the M-Audio control panel, which is cool unless you want to punch in on a track. How can I listen to a pre-recorded track up until the punch point, than punch in and hear the newly recorded material all using direct monitoring? Can it just not be done? If not, that's pretty disappointing. Anyone have any thoughts? Many thanks!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Direct Monitoring

C'mon guys, you can't tell me that no one has this problem. The only options I can think of are:

1. I setup a second track for punches and simultaneously mute the original and hit record at the punch point on the new track. It's a pretty lame workaround, but it would sort of work.
2. I use 128 buffer size and monitor through PT. The problem here is that I can still feel the latency. Is that what the majority of you are doing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Sean
Old 03-28-2007, 03:12 PM

how ye.
\\\\yes I had his problem too and its probabally the only thing about protools I dont like,unlike sonar and nuendo where this problem does not exist. But But what I do now and it works great,is turn on asio direct monitoring, and monitor through head phone outputs especially when your punching in, youll get no latency this way.

brandy
Old 03-28-2007, 11:41 PM

Yeah, that's a bummer and there's not currently a work around. There was supposed to be a disable monitoring function in there, but isn't.