Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 06:51 AM

Default Newbie question - how to apply several eqs

Hi all,
I'm quite new to Procontrol and Protools. Maybe/hopefully it's a simple one.
My question is: For a selected part of a track, let's say, an interview with some cuts within,
I want to apply an eq. Later on the same track are other interviews that need another eq.
From what I understand, it can be done with Audiosuite on clip/region basis, but what if you want to apply it as rtas? I think this has to be done with automation? Apply the eq for that track, select the affected regions, filter out and then?

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Newbie question - how to apply several eqs

Why not just cut the sections that are separate "Voices" I am assuming and put them into their own tracks. Easy to do, and that way each voice would have a dedicated EQ for it.

Understand?? If I had an HD system, (or even my LE system) that is how I would do it.

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 03-25-2005, 03:55 AM

I also think that's the easiest way to do it (Doc's suggestion) You can use an Audiosuite plug-in, but then you still have to select each interview section and preview it which, by the way, doesn't always sound the same as the processed final outcome. Then you need to proces it. If you don't like the outcome of the processed version, then you have to undo it, and you get to start over. Make sure if you choose this way that you select "stereo" or "mono" in the upper right hand corner of the plug-in window, or it can crash when you try to preview the selection. Processing this way can be about as fast as the way explained by Doc, but it depends on tthe length of each person's talk and how fast you get. I still think that if you have the DSP, and you should, you ought to just put the indiviual vocals on seperate tracks and apply a different EQ setting. This will give you easier overall control too, which may come in handy if the voices are louder or higher in amplitude in the recording. For example, you may need to compress a voice differently, or maybe one voice is much louder than the others, so why not have it on another track where you don't have to do this all over again with either automation or Audioosuite plug-ins. If you choose to use individual tracks, just duplicate the original track (Option+shift+D) as many times as you have seperate voices, or perhaps even easier, create the amount of tracks you need for each voice (Apple+shift+N) and them seperate the audio (Apple E or just hit "B" if you're in "Command Focus Mode) and drag each piece to the new tracks. Then, when you put the EQ in the first track, hold down the option key, and the EQ will appear in all the other tracks and you can fly through the indivldual voices. Sorry so long winded, but I hope that helps.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:57 AM

To apply automation over a series of clips on a track, do this. Select the EQ for the track. When the plug-in window opens, there is a button labeled "auto". Click on it an a new window will open with all the parameters you can automate on the left. Select (shift/click) all the parameters you want to automate then click "Add" and "OK". You can now automate that EQ. I like to first write automation from beginning to end with the EQ "zeroed out" as a default, but you don't have to. Suspend the automation. Play the track, loop playback is handy if you really need to work on something for a while, and adjust it to what you want. When you have the EQ you want, stop and make a selection of everything you want to EQ. Make sure you only have "Plug-In" selected on the Pro Control enable switches or in the automation template ("command 4 " on the numeric keypad). Then press Option, Command and the forward slash at the same time, which is a shortcut for "Edit menu>Write Automation>To All Enabled Parameters". You can do this to all the sections you need and then turn the automation back on and tweek from there as needed.