Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2004, 02:01 PM

Default Guitar/Bass Set-Up - necessary???

I just bought a Fender Jazz bass (made in Mexico) and the sales guy at Sam Ask suggested I let their guy set it up for me.

My question is:

Do guitars/basses straight from the factory always need a set-up?

It seems counter-intuitive to me to buy something that is not ready to play.

My new bass plays fine. It seems to have the proper intonation. Still, I feel the irrational need to get it set-up.

Advice anyone?

I play guitar too, so feel free to address guitars as well as basses.

Thanks,

JP
Old 06-01-2004, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Guitar/Bass Set-Up - necessary???

Guitars and basses bought new should be set up properly. However, they then ship them and they go through different weather changes..... It probably needs a small tweak to put it right, however if you feel the intonation is good, and it feels right, it probably is. FWIW
Old 06-01-2004, 08:40 PM

I agree. Especially production models. I'd have it set up not just for the intonation but also for better action too.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:52 PM

If he's not charging you extra for it (and he shouldn't) go ahead and let him do it. I've never bought a low end instrument that didn't need to be tweaked a bit. As you become more experienced you will learn how you like your guitar set up and can have things more to your personal taste but for now just a quick basic setup can do no harm. On the other hand if he's trying to charge you for it take your business elsewhere.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:53 AM

My first bass was a Mex. fender jazz and I never NEEDED it to be set up, but when the urge hit me, I learned to do it myself. It's not that hard. Just get yourself some standard size allen wrenches, a phillips head screwdriver, some steel wool, and some 3-in-1 oil and go to work. As far as intonation goes, you'll rarely need to adjust it other than about every year or so. To adjust it, play the harmonic over the 12th fret and then play the actual note and see if there is a difference and go from there. Action is a matter of taste, but you generally don't want it to be too high so the neck won't easily warp. The steel wool? Put some drops of three-in-one oil on a peice of super-fine steel wool and polish the frets about every three months. It works alot better than those Ernie Ball-I-had-some-extra-cash-leftover-and-decided-to-waste-it-on-some-fake-cleaning-solutions.

Re-emphasis: be your own tech. Save ALOT of time and money and better learn your instrument inside and out.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:59 PM

Thanks for all the input. After playing it for a few days I think I'm o.k for awhile.

They are not offering it for free (it's Sam Ash - I'm lucky I left with my soul intact - kidding)...

Since the intonation is fine and the action feels o.k. (and there are not rattles), I think I'll keep it as-is for awhile.

As one of you suggested (I apologize for not noting the name)...I think I'll learn set-up myself. I'm not anxious to go and strip my truss rod or anything, but, I think I could work with the action and the pick-ups at least.

There is a guitar store called McCabe's that offers a set-up class. It's about time I finally take it.

Thanks again for all of the input.

JP
Old 06-07-2004, 04:22 PM

You'd probably be better off getting your bass at McCabes. If it's cheaper at Sam Ash, get a price from them and go and get McCabes to match it.
512MB RAM
Mac OS X 10.2.8
160GB LaCie FW drive
Old 06-07-2004, 08:33 PM

Quote:
The steel wool? Put some drops of three-in-one oil on a peice of super-fine steel wool and polish the frets about every three months. It works alot better than those Ernie Ball-I-had-some-extra-cash-leftover-and-decided-to-waste-it-on-some-fake-cleaning-solutions.

Re-emphasis: be your own tech. Save ALOT of time and money and better learn your instrument inside and out.
Amen!
Jeff, have you ever tried olive oil w/ steel wool?
Old 06-07-2004, 10:11 PM

No, I haven't. What kind of difference do you get? It sounds like a pretty good idea! Also, will olive oil mess up my laminate neck? I now own a '75 Jazz due to student refund checks and the like(Wise Spender).
Old 06-08-2004, 12:06 AM

I purcfhased one of those Mexican P-bases used for $75 from a kid who never had it setup, and claimed it ws a piece of junk. I adjusted the neck, restrung it with some decent strings, intonated it, set the action, and it plays like butter, is in perfect tune every note every fret, and has been played on several CD's done here.

Same with a Mexican Strat. Purchased new (with some minor cosmetic damage) for $150 fro Mars (before the went belly up), some good strings, neck and action adjsut ment and intonation, and it rocks.

A quick bit of work with a dremel tool and now one is the wiser they are both Mexican fenders, I get many comments on their playability and sound.