Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Analog sounds better

the first time i heard a CD i remember thinking how bright it sounded and i thought that was great! I was so tired of cassettes running out of hihg end after leaving them in a hot car or playing them too many times. funny how i didnt hear the lack of depth and fluidity, since i was so glad to have the highs. once the illusion wears off, we are left driving home at 10 am in our prom outfits hoping we dont have an unplanned pregnancy on our hands, i guess. but what magic it was in those first moments.

Da-nick-str = Nick Dellos
Old 05-29-2005, 10:32 PM

It's kinda like the pickles on the burger argument.......... some people love them, some hate them, some don't care either way.

The one thing i would like to see is more people having an opinion .....THEIR OWN OPINION ......based on what you are passionate about, not regurgitating some article from the web or mix magazine.

Find what works for you ..... make music with passion .....change lives & history ...... ENTERTAIN PEOPLE!

I personally like the original version of "Back in Black".......The remastered version changed the balance of the mixes (hihat is much louder). I also love the "Keene" CD
Old 05-30-2005, 10:49 PM

Solo Producers running tape-based machines on all analog gear would never be able to meet some of the fast deadlines required by several of the music buying industries...
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Lol. Are you serious? Fast deadlines? WTF are you talking about?

This does not necessarily mean albums, but I'd still rather fly through a PT session and create music as quickly as I can think of it than have to fart around with a patchbay and outboard gear any day.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Hooking up a compressor through a patchbay takes the same amount of time as scrolling through a list of plugs and selecting a subpar digital compressor.

And bro, I don't EVER lay down subpar takes...I just find it a lot more conducive to the creative process to be able to track a JCM800 on my POD, flip channels with two mouse clicks and turn the knob on the POD to lay down rhythms on a Mesa Boogie. As fast as I think of the stuff, I can lay it down. If I had to set up all that gear, I might forget what inspired me in the first place!

And it still sounds like crap because you are using a pod. If you dont have the patience to set up a rig because you think you're going to forget you idear quit smoking so much pot.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:32 AM

Hi,

I'm actually usin PTLE on pc, but when I saw the provocative title of this thread I had to have a look. I'm very glad I did!

I just wanted to say thanks to Bentley for the link to the prosoundweb thread. That is really food for thought ... and quite a bit of experimentation

Cheers fella

gonzo

HANSON'S RAZOR:
Never attribute to evil that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Hi,

I'm actually usin PTLE on pc, but when I saw the provocative title of this thread I had to have a look. I'm very glad I did!

I just wanted to say thanks to Bentley for the link to the prosoundweb thread. That is really food for thought ... and quite a bit of experimentation

Cheers fella

gonzo
You're most welcome gonzo. Many Cheers in return. Yes, I think the real story is in that link.

Make some music this weekend!
Old 12-09-2005, 07:09 AM

Quote:
the public CAN tell and thats why records of the 60,'s, 70's, and 80's are STILL selling, sometimes a 3rd, 4th and 5th time to the same people. meanwhile, I dont think anyones going to rebuy ANY records put on in the last 10 years.
A couple of things. First of all, not all the records of the 60,'s, 70's, and 80's are still selling. In relation to all the records released in those decades (an enormous amount of output), only a very small fraction of that music is still selling today. Like anything, the cream rises to the surface.

Secondly, I think people are missing what makes those old recordings sound so special. The artists were great, the session musicians were great (and projects used LOTS of musicians), the arrangers/orchestrators were great, the songs were great, the engineers were great. They also recorded in BIG studios with excellent acoustics. They didn't quantize/Beat Detective/AutoTune the snot out of everything, and they didn't mercilessly squash the dynamics.

Anybody sitting in a matchbox sized personal studio is free to think that adding an outboard analog summing box is going to make all the difference in the world. That's fine. The world needs optimistic people.

I'd also recommend people listen to the Lynn Fuston Awesum DAWSUM Sampler. Personal experience is great, but Lynn has been evaluating things for a long time, and has developed scientific methods of doing these sorts of things. An improperly prepared test can generate misleading results.

Here's the link:

http://www.3daudioinc.com/catalog/pr...a0a5ec75a90b3e

Lee Blaske
Old 12-09-2005, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Anybody sitting in a matchbox sized personal studio is free to think that adding an outboard analog summing box is going to make all the difference in the world. That's fine. The world needs optimistic people.
Lee,

LOL!

And what is it with people bringing 6-month old threads back to the top -- this and iLok (I should hold my tongue or else a WUP thread from 2 weeks ago will resurface) -- been there and done that. Don't we have work to do?
Old 12-09-2005, 07:32 AM

Quote:
And what is it with people bringing 6-month old threads back to the top
Fact is, those threads older than 6 months are SO much better than the kinds of threads people are starting nowadays. Those vintage threads were so good, the same people are willing to bring them back to the top for the 3rd, 4th or 5th time. You won't see that happening with today's threads. I think dial-up service through analog phone lines was the difference. Cable modem and DSL just seem to lack a certain depth or richness. A month ago, the cable modem service in our neighborhood was down, and I had to post something using dial-up. What a difference!! I'm never going back to posting with cable modem.

Lee Blaske
Old 12-09-2005, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
And what is it with people bringing 6-month old threads back to the top
Fact is, those threads older than 6 months are SO much better than the kinds of threads people are starting nowadays. Those vintage threads were so good, the same people are willing to bring them back to the top for the 3rd, 4th or 5th time. You won't see that happening with today's threads. I think dial-up service through analog phone lines was the difference. Cable modem and DSL just seem to lack a certain depth or richness. A month ago, the cable modem service in our neighborhood was down, and I had to post something using dial-up. What a difference!! I'm never going back to posting with cable modem.

Lee Blaske
ROFL!!!!

Yeah, I miss the days of 300bps when you could actually read the text as it scrolled up your screen. You didn’t need scroll bars or a wheel mouse and graphics were out of the question! Back then emoticons were made by combining different text characters...today’s emoticons just don’t have the same soul as the did back then. };>

"I bent my wookie"
Old 12-09-2005, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Secondly, I think people are missing what makes those old recordings sound so special. The artists were great, the session musicians were great (and projects used LOTS of musicians), the arrangers/orchestrators were great, the songs were great, the engineers were great. They also recorded in BIG studios with excellent acoustics. They didn't quantize/Beat Detective/AutoTune the snot out of everything, and they didn't mercilessly squash the dynamics.
I agree 100%!

"I bent my wookie"