Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 07:54 AM

Default Re: I\'m So Tired Of Protools Crashing!!

Quote:
OSX is a moving target, making it difficult for Protools to be reliable for every user.
Talk about hitting the nail on the head!!!!

Just the sheer amount of OSX versions out there Boggles the mind Apple should be up to OS12!!

How could any Software Developer keep up with a MOVING TARGET!!!!

Old 05-08-2005, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Would it be possible to create a "validator" that checks the code and makes sure the plug-in is robust and will not introduce instability into the system?
That validator exists. Its a combination of the plug-ins developers and beta testers. Perhaps both are lame in the case of Native Instruments? Digidesign's are worthy.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:32 AM

hey we all feel your pain. the people who claim to have solid systems are not using your plug-ins or number of tracks or your soft synths. do not believe them. they are not liars, but they are not running your system with your parameters. the problem is very deep and very difficult to fix, and it stems from old software and ever-changing OS lots. there is no easy solution and it requires drastic action. we probably will not see a stable protools system again in our careers. but it will limp along, so i guess that what we have to use.

Da-nick-str = Nick Dellos
Old 05-08-2005, 09:50 AM

Quote:
later we pulled out the fire wire drives and installed SCSI and it is night and day difference in B. I noted that using fire wire everything was slow and unstable.
I think firewire is a culprit in most ppl problems. From reading the threads it seems FW800 has brought more problems to the table then FW400 does. I only use firewire for backup/storage. Nothing beats scsi once you set it up correctly. I am using a 733QS(2002), 10.3.7, PT6.7(scared of 6.9), 1.5 ram, HD2(non accel), 2x192(analog), 1x96(analog), plugings up the arse, UL4D scsi card and in last 3 yrs, since PT 5.4 I have honestly only had about 3 crashes(quits) . As far as firewalls, the internet, virus protection, screen savers.....why are apps of this nature even initiated while your are workin on a computer designated for music! I myself have a "pc" for surfing I would never go online w/ my mac (only for updates). Anything basically outside of a music prog is continually "putting it's hands in your pockets/patting you down" you don't want that. Hopefully when PT7 comes out it will become as snappy as 9 was! I am also still using a 8100, OS8.6 w/ PT5 for nubus, 3 scsi drives(50 pin), 4x888/16, chassis w/ 4x dsp, 2x bridge i/o, 3x scsi i/o, SCII card.... this system crashes about 4x a year.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:54 PM

Here goes . My system runs rock solid. The only crash I have on a regular basic is the Clear clips, Option C, which will crash my rig 99% everytime. I have a ticket pulled on this one and I bet it will be fixed with 6.9 cs1. Having different issues with different systems is a OS problem, what crashes on a new G 5 does't necessaly crash on a Duel G 4 1.25. My system is on 24/7 and except for the one mention crash it runs unblievably solid. As much as I hate it , it sounds as thought you need to re-install and reformate your system drive. Upgrade to 6.9 and OS 10.3.8, reformate all your firewire drives with "journed " turn on. Run plug in validator from 6.9. Throw awall all of your cracked plug ins, sorry! and I bet your system will rock as it should. I know this isn't what you want to hear but before you go crazy you owe it to yourself to run the steps I've mentioned, at that point, you should also run digi test on your cards to make sure thay too are working Ok. Trouble shooting a system is very labor intesive but the only way to fix the hell you are in. once again

1 .OS 10.3.8, all drives journeled
2. Pro-Tools 6.9 althought 6.8 cs 8 ran fine for me,except all the bugs it had. UPGRADE!!
3. Re formate all your firewire drives and turn journeling ON, They too must have 911 Oxform chipsets!!
4. test all cards ( digi test)
5. remove all crask plug in's, again Sorry!
6. Check your power supply UPS is a must !
7. Make sure you have only Apple approved RAM ! A Must!! in know but this is where most problems live!!

This should take about four hours of work but the end result will be what you want. Then Everyweek you do this!!

1. Disk utility repair permisions
2. Dick Warrior 3.2 run from the Disk and fix all errors
3. Zapp you Phee Ram, four chimes
4. Make sure no virus software is running in background, ie (Nortons)

This will insure a smooth running system!! that takes about 15 min, and i do it every Monday AM before i start working. Thus My SYSTEM ROCKS!!!

I hope this all helps, Good Luck!!

[email protected]
Intel duel Quad core
PT 8.0cs3
HD4
D Command / D control
Old 05-08-2005, 07:25 PM

Wow, I have a $100.00 portable cassette machine I bought about 15 years ago that has NEVER crashed, although I DO have to change the 2 AA bateries every now and then. I repeat - NEVER!
Old 05-08-2005, 09:54 PM

Quote:

If I'm paying $20-$50 grand for a system it should not crash at all. not even once. once is completely unacceptable in my opinion.
Electrok
Yeah Digi. And while you're at it, make sure:

1. My car NEVER breaks down.
2. My cell phone ALWAYS has a signal.
3. My keys NEVER get lost.
4. My lightbulbs NEVER burn out.
5. My Printer ALWAYS has ink and paper.
6. And most importantly: my coffee is ALWAYS hot.

Old 05-08-2005, 10:49 PM

Sory.

I am yet to see OSX in all its glory, for those who have it "Rock Solid", congratulations.

I am unfortunatley back on OS9 till this board cleans up all the OSX problems.

I love Protools, yet cant get OSX stable to save my life, I hate having to explain myself when I get the ball spinning or the unexpected quit screen. It is just unprofessional to encounter these with money coming thru the door.

The trade off for me, unfortunatley is a step back to 9.2, is it such a step back when it still works flawlessly, thats the question?

Old 05-09-2005, 02:09 PM

Why do I keep seeing people in this thread suggesting to have drives "journaled" when formatting? Everything I've heard prior (other threads, word from people reputable users, etc) has been to have journaling turned OFF?
Old 05-09-2005, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Why do I keep seeing people in this thread suggesting to have drives "journaled" when formatting? Everything I've heard prior (other threads, word from people reputable users, etc) has been to have journaling turned OFF?
maybe because of this: in the hard rive minimum requirements section of DIGI's website, they state,
Quote:
Macintosh Journaled File System Now Recommended for Pro Tools

Mac OS X 10.3 incorporates a journaled file system, which will automatically log any file modifications. If your computer crashes badly enough to require a restart (or a restart from a power failure), the OS will then use the journal to aid in fixing any disk problems caused by the crash.

Mac OS X 10.3 ships with journaling on by default. Digidesign now recommends that customers format their media drives with journaling turned on. When using Apple"s Disk Utility program to format drives, Digidesign recommends choosing "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" format, instead of "Mac OS Extended."

To enable journaling on an existing drive:

Run the Apple Disk Utility, located in Application/Utilities.
Select the disk or volume in the left column of the Disk Utility windows.
Click "Enable Journaling" in the toolbar, or choose "Enable Journaling" or Command+J from the File menu
If you want to turn journaling off for any reason, select the volume and choose "Disable Journaling" or Command +J in the File menu of Disk Utility. Note that disabling journaling will slow recovery if your system has to be rebooted to recover from a kernel panic or power failure.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash