Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2001, 03:02 AM

Default MJ -- PLS HELP

Protools with AV Option ver 5.0.1

We are using the MOTU Midi Timepiece for locking (instead of the USD) along with a VSD.

Black burst is given to the VSD and the MTP Video reference input.
Slave clock (256x clock) from the VSD is given to the Audio Interfaces.
Timecode is coming into the MTP.

On the PT the session is setup for 25 frames and 48k sample rate.
Like wise on the MTP the Sync is set to Video/LTC (we have tried only LTC and even LTC Quiklock), frame rate 25 fps and Fs is 48k.
The timecode freewheel on the PT and MTP is 4 frames.
No offset is set on the MTP.

When we grab picture from a VTR the video and picture are bang on in sync, however the TC on Protools is lagging with respect to the burnt in TC seen of the Video by 6 frames.

When we grab only picture from a VTR and then grab the audio, both are bang on in sync, however the TC on Protools is lagging with respect to the burnt in TC seen of the Video by 6 frames.

Now if we were to grab just audio from a Hi8 machine or a timecode DAT we find that the audio is starting at the correct point. There is no mismatch in the PT timecode, We could identify this by using material that had material referenced to a timecode that we were familiar with.

Yes if we use the USD then there is no difference in the timecode between the PT and burnt in TC seen on the video screen.

Understandably USD is only approved unit to be used with the AV Option, why does one face a problem with the MTP?

Why is there is a fixed 6 frames difference between the timecode off the PT versus burnt in TC seen on the video screen?
Why is the audio in sync with the picture grabbed off the VTR? (There is no drift)

Looking forward to you response

Old 02-01-2001, 09:56 AM
Avid

Default Re: MJ -- PLS HELP

Baxter
I will try to check this out. Not sure when
because of the new release of PT 5.1
I will try to confirm your findings
ASAP.
MJ
Digidesign tech Supt
Old 02-02-2001, 03:20 AM

Dear MJ,

Would be great if you could check and let me at the earliest. Infact the problem posted to u has a link to what Raven posted u earlier.

Also further to my previous post, the same test was done at 2 other recording facilities using the Protools with the AV Option. 2 new MTP AV's were checked at these 2 facilities and we drew up the same results. 5 frames difference. An example of wht i mean i talk of 5 frames difference is as below :-

The BIG Counter reads = xx:xx:xx:05
while
The Burnt-In/Super display seen on the Telivision monitor reads = xx:xx:xx:10

Please let me know if the problems lies within the MTP AV and why ????
Old 02-03-2001, 10:04 AM

Baxter,

If it works with the USD why not use the USD? I have had problems with my Timepiece A/V and no longer use it for anything but MIDI - I had to by a VSD because the 256x clock that the Timepiece was sending was so jittery that some external devices couldn't establish a solid lock. So...can't you use the USD in the configuration that WORKS?