Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Best Systems and Components for Win HD/TDM

Quote:
I'm looking for a rackmount case to build my pc, like the one sweetwater has on there creation station computers, to set an example. Any good brands? And if they have an on-line store better!

thanx!
I use a Lian Li PC-V1100APlus II Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112059

I really like this case. Lots of room for everything and build realy well. You can't rack it but I hate racking computers that you need to get to.
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 07-08-2006, 06:14 AM

Hi all,

Someone could bring me a suggestion for a single processor motherboard (I cannot find ASUS P4C800-E in any shop). I feel comfortable with AMD also.

I want to build a system with HD2 PCI (no PCIe) to be able to record 48-64 tracks and that's it. no edits, only for tracking.

any help would be really appreciated.

best regards,

rgr
Old 08-01-2006, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Someone could bring me a suggestion for a single processor motherboard (I cannot find ASUS P4C800-E in any shop). I feel comfortable with AMD also.

I want to build a system with HD2 PCI (no PCIe) to be able to record 48-64 tracks and that's it. no edits, only for tracking.

any help would be really appreciated.

best regards,

rgr
And, along those lines...any good pci-e systems you can suggest would be great as well.

It's time I upgrade to a PCI-e based system for the new HD cards.

cheers,
rich
Old 08-01-2006, 05:07 PM

Hi!
Unfortunately, there are no *qualified* boards capable of more than a PCIe or two. I have been trying to find out more dirt on just what we need ot look for, once DIgi has developed the software side of things for PCIe on XP.'

I think the HD cards that they are currently offering are 1x (physical and electrical), so this opens up MANY options (due to the current offerings..more below). One hurdle is finding the right physical layout, and component use/placement on the board. Heat sinks, fans, capacitors, etc...all these play the heaviest role in determining if a board is even worth looking at spec-wise.

PCIe (currently) usually exist as one or two 16 lane busses. Most i have seen are two 16 lane, and are then divided into 16, 8, 4, 2, and 1 lane electrical (meaning they will feed the PCIe device in that slot at a 1x, 2x, etc rate). While Apple's G5's currently have all 16lane connectors, it is actually a set of two 16 lane electrical. The first is for video in the first 16 lane connector. The next 16 lanes are then split between 3 physical, 16 lane connectors; in othe rwords, although they are 16 lane connectors, they are running at a lower electrical rate. I think it is 8, 4, and 4...

Since the HD cards appear to have 1x connectors type, that would mean it only requires a 1x electrical slot...so ANY PCIe slot would suffice, since lower connector types (1, 2, 4...for example) can be placed (about 98% of the time) in the larger (like Apple G5, with 16x slots only) slot type.

The next problem is finding a board that has the PCIe slots close enough together to allow at least 3 HD cards to be inserted, and then interconnected via the TDMII Ribbon cables.

With everything going on, I would imagine DIgi is trying to first find a board that would satisfy the most extreme needs clients, such as Post, with Mojo and such. Working to find a board soley for HD1 customers would be less productive, as an HD1 customer could use an HD3, XP PCIe qualified board, but not vice-versa (necessarily).

As soon as qualification is public for XP and PCIe, hopefully it will not be long before I can have some parts listed in the first post, to allow the DIY'ers to start building a PCIe machine. Of course, I will post right here at the end of the thread as soon as I hear anything!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:22 PM

I'm running HD 2 Accel and would like to build an Intel Quad System without having to Exchange my pci cards for pcie which would add to the expense. I would have considered a Intel Mac an run XP but they seem to only have PCie slots. Does anyone have any comments and or answers.

Thank YOu
Old 08-14-2006, 04:22 PM

I'm running HD 2 Accel and would like to build an Intel Quad System without having to Exchange my pci cards for pcie which would add to the expense. I would have considered a Intel Mac an run XP but they seem to only have PCie slots. Does anyone have any comments and or answers.

Thank YOu
Old 08-14-2006, 05:36 PM

Hi!
I think Intel has some nice boards for the new Woodcrest chips. I think it was the 5000 or 5100 series I saw recently that looked nice. PCIe slots, but also like 2-3 PCI/PCI-X slots. No one has tried this yet though, since I dont even know anyone who has Woodcrest running on an XP only system with an Intel motherboard...my understanding was that Apple and Dell got the first run...except for certain "industry people."
Quote:
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:22 AM

The original post here said that TDM can run in a laptop. I'm interested in more info on this! My current laptop is almost worthless, and I want my next computer purchase to be ready for me to upgrade to TDM next year. Any input is helpful!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm looking for a rackmount case to build my pc, like the one sweetwater has on there creation station computers, to set an example. Any good brands? And if they have an on-line store better!

thanx!
I use a Lian Li PC-V1100APlus II Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112059

I really like this case. Lots of room for everything and build realy well. You can't rack it but I hate racking computers that you need to get to.
Peace,
Brandon
Thank-you so much for posting this Brandon. I got this case from Newegg and it is,
indeed, the bomb for HD. The drives are all at the bottom of the case and mounting
the DVD/CDROM drive down means you can go HD-4 in this case with absolutely no space
collisions (assuming you've got the PCI slots).

It's quiet ... it's build like a frickin' tank..

really good call .. i owe you a beer!

jeff
Old 08-26-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
The original post here said that TDM can run in a laptop. I'm interested in more info on this! My current laptop is almost worthless, and I want my next computer purchase to be ready for me to upgrade to TDM next year. Any input is helpful!
Hi!
Unfortunately, no one has written/posted about this yet. It should be possible, especially with the Digidesign Expansion|HD chassis.

As soon as I receive, or see posted, information confirming this possibility, I will add it to this thread in the first post in the porper section.

Anyone???
Quote: